When to wash a new quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to wash a new quilt?

I'm a new quilter. Just finished my first one. Going to give it away. Should I wash it now or give it unwashed?

I always wash a quilt before giving it away to anyone. They accumulate dirt, dust and oils from the body as we work on them. I also have a household that includes dogs and cats, so I want to be sure that there's nothing to irritate or cause a reaction to anybody else. I wash in a dye and fragrance soap. And to be sure, I want it washed as a kind of QC...if somethings going to fall apart, I want it to happen before it gets to a friend or family member.
    Barbara

Comment

Congratulations on your first finish. Lucky recipient! I prefer to wash the quilt myself before giving it away. That way, I know that any dirt or skin oils that the quilt may have picked up during construction are removed and I am gifting a perfectly clean quilt. Also, you want to make sure there is no bleeding or color transfer, especially if you did not pre-wash the fabrics in the quilt. I usually attach a label with washing instructions, and make sure the recipient is familiar with color catchers.

Comment

• Jane Moats
        Jane Moats commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Going to give it to my granddaughter to take to college this year. It probably won't get washed again for a while. LOL!!

I wash before as well as stated reasons above as well. I tend to use spray basting since I have a sit down long arm. I also include a color catcher with the quilt. If any mishaps I want to know. Hope that helps!!

Comment

I also wash before I gift as I do have dogs that like to sit with me when Iā€™m working on them. However in the church guild we do not wash. Might be more of access to washers than anything else in not washing those.
        Carlie

Comment

I also wash before giving for all the reasons above plus one more... after the first wash, if there is going to be any shrinkage (and there almost always is) that give a quilt that soft crinkled/wrinkled look, I don't want the recipient to think that they did something wrong and ruined it. A loved and well used quilt should look that way (imo) !

Comment

Same here. I remember taking a quilt with me to the dorm that my Grandmother had made! When I told my oldest about it, he quickly laid claim to it!
            Vonnie

Comment

It depends. I used to always wash my baby quilts before gifting due to the stabilizers used in fabrics as well as spray starch, etc. The last few quilts I had to give unwashed due to the limits of time. I do not pre-wash my fabrics before sewing, except flannels. Large quilts (queen size) that I gave to family, I did not wash prior to gifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
                I wash before as well as stated reasons above as well. I tend to use spray basting since I have a sit down long arm. I also include a color catcher with the quilt. If any mishaps I want to know. Hope that helps!!

Yes, I always wash before gifting and add a box of Colour Catchers plus washing instructions. Seeing a quilt come out of the dryer for the first time with that wrinkly look is one of my favourite moments.
                ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

Wash before giving.
                  1. I love that crinkly look
                  2. I always have marks from pencils, chalk or markers on the quilt top and I need to see for myself that the marks come out. (I am a hq, maybe for mq you don't need to mark?) Sometimes you need to wash two times (with Color Catcher sheets) to get marks out.
                  3. If marks still show after washing do not put in dryer unril marks are gone, or else dryer heat could make those marks stay there forever.

Comment

Ditto on the washing before gifting. Double ditto on all the reasons why. So far, no problems on the receiving end.

Comment

I always wash my quilts before gifting them. I like the crinkle look that they get after washing plus I have a dog & don't want to give away any of her hairs! šŸ˜‰

Comment

Yes, I'm washing my quilts as soon as they're done, too, because I may have sweated on them, or handled them with dirty hands...

Comment

Working...
                        X