Quilting density?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting density?

Hello, beginner quilting working on a Jelly Roll Jam baby quilt. I quilted each 2x6” block but am worried it’s not as dense as it should be, although I like that all the quilt lines are hidden in the ditch. What would you do? I have a vintage Tailor Professional machine that doesn’t allow for free motion quilting so I’m confined to straight stitch! Thanks in advance!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

As long as you followed the instructions on the batting (4 inches apart, 8 inches apart, etc) your quit should hold up and launder just fine. The density is more of a personal choice, how does it look to you? I am a hand quilter and know zilch about machine quilting. I am hq one now. The batting says quilting should not be more than 10 inches apart but I am doing about 2.5 inches apart because 10 inches would mean some of my blocks (4x6.5 inchrs) would not have any quilting at all and that would look kind of weird to me. I like my stitches to show but it sounds like you are aiming for the opposite effect and there is nothing wrong with that. Whatever makes you happy.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; July 5, 2020, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with the comment above. Straight stitching is fine. The more stitching you do the stiffer your quilt will be. I think you are fine with what you have done. A baby quilt should be soft and snuggly. Always refer to the package your batting came in for how far apart you can quilt.

I tried checking my batting package recently and it did not have any requirements on it, I was surprised. From memory the closest requirement I have seen was 3"-4" apart so what you have done should be plenty.

Comment

Working...
    X