Fabric weight ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric weight ?

Coming in knowing no question is stupid 🙄What s the next weight down from quilting cotton?
    🌺 Lorie

I'd say cotton lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
      I'd say cotton lawn.
      I know that fabric, but didn't know where it fell in weight area. Thanks!

For the longest time my main fabric shop didn't organize their fabric very well. I wasn't quilting, just sewing clothes. I would just go by the feel I liked and what I was going to make. I never associated the names very much. Now I'd like to sew some tops and need to educate myself with the names of apparel fabrics. I just got an email back from an online fabric shop about the difference between two linens. Essex and Brussels washer. Really nice and fast answer. Essex is stiffer and Brussels is softer and flowy. In case anyone wants to know. lol
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
        Mimi_Howard commented
        Editing a comment
        Like you Hulamoon I would just feel and go from there when I made skirts and such for grand daughters. And now with the isolation and emotional eating, either I am growing or my washer is shrinking my clothing and I may soon need to sew some things for myself.

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        lol I know how you feel.

Fabric weight is measured in oz/yd (sq.). It doesn't begin to describe a particular feel in shirting or quilting cottons. These days I feel that quilting and shirting cottons are interchangeable if you like the feel.
      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Originally posted by oldmanquilts View Post
        Fabric weight is measured in oz/yd (sq.). It doesn't begin to describe a particular feel in shirting or quilting cottons. These days I feel that quilting and shirting cottons are interchangeable if you like the feel.
        Well I didn't think I would get an answer if I asked what is the next feel down from quilting cotton. lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• oldmanquilts
          oldmanquilts commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I know you didn't ask about feel specifically, but weight. I see fabric in the "quilting" category that is all over the map in weights and feel. In describing the weight difference between "quilting cottons" and lawn, you really can't. They could be the same weight, but feel different. So... we're talking about feel after all.
      Working...
      X