Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread

What kind of thread does everyone use? Mine keeps breaking . I have tried absolutely everything I know . I was told to use 100% cotton but all it does is break. Please help.

You're about to get a ton of suggestions, it might help to make yourself a check list to write down all of the suggestions. These ladies on the forum are super fantastic! They will help you in ways you can't imagine!! Personally, I would start with my machine. Making sure it's threaded right, the tension is set correctly, is the throat plate smooth? do you have the right type of needle? are there burrs around the center hole? Do you remember the last time you sewed when the thread didn't break? The "Ladies" will come to the rescue!
    Kathryn
    Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

I use Sew Fine by Superior Threads. I have had no problems with it at all.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I've used several different brands of cotton with good success...Aurifil, Connecting Threads, MSQC, even Coats and Clark. Maybe you should give a poly or cotton-covered poly a try. Here's a good article: https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...read-shredding
        Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I was having issues with breaking thread also and could not figure it out until I read that when sewing with batiks you need to use a finer thread as the fabric has a tighter weave. It is recommended that you use 50 or 60 wt.
          Carlie

Comment

I use Superior, MSQC, and also Connecting Threads. You might want to make sure you have the correct needle size. Does it break when piecing or fmq? I went to a Schmetz jeans needle when fmq and it has helped with breakage.

Comment

Unless your thread is all ancient, I suspect it is a machine problem. Not feeding correctly off the spool, machine not threaded right or a tension issue, wrong size needle, etc.

Comment

I came here to make a joke about a thread about thread, but will stay to say I really really like MSQ thread.

Comment

I use connecting thread in my bernina and love it. Just a thought, are you matching your top thread with your bobbin thread? I accidentally put a poly bobbin once.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
                    oldmanquilts commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Most here probably use a poly thread in the bobbin, with cotton on top. I do, and have for a long time. Aurifil top, and bottom line in the bobbin. Mixing them does not cause breakage. Most of the lint build up you see is from cotton in the bobbin. The thread gets a workout going through the tension spring on the bobbin. Poly bobbin thread takes care of that. You have other issues, but it's not the mis-match of thread type.

What kind of thread are you using, and what are you doing (piecing/fmq)? I use Madeira cottona for piecing, because I’ve had polyester thread melt or get brittle when I am pressing my seams. However, I have yet to master fmq with cotton thread (I hear it can be done), so I use Madeira Aerofil (which is polyester) when I quilt.

If your thread is breaking while you are piecing, I agree with ktdid in that it is likely related to your machine. When was the last time your machine was serviced? My thread started breaking or getting stuck when I was over due for a tuneup.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
                    Nwmnteacher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use cotton thread all the time when quilting on my regular sewing machine (Janome).

Our answers will vary according to what type of machines we have & what our personal preferences are. Believe it or not, some machines just don't "like" certain threads & will function better with others. For 10 yrs. I've used nothing but 50 wt. cotton for piecing. I started out using Coats & Clark from Walmart, then switched to RA thread on a large cone. I use an eggshell color (cream, off white) for piecing light colored fabrics, & a medium gray for darker fabrics. The owner of my LSQ suggested Madera; I bought a cone, but I have not yet tried it.

For piecing on my DSM, I used the same thread in the bobbin as I do on the top. I now have a table model longarm, so my FMQ is done on that.

Now, consider needle size, type, & needle hole size. The Superior Threads web site has good info. both on the various kinds of threads as well as needles. I pretty much quit using "universal" needles after someone said I needed to use quilting needles. It really depends on the fabric on which you're sewing. If I'm piecing on batiks, I use a #70 Microtex needle, which is sharper & goes through the fabric more easily & will last longer. Also, ask yourself how long have I been using this needle? Needles need to be changed after every 8 hrs. of sewing.

I hope you get things figured out soon so you can enjoy the piecing & quilting process.

Comment

My favorite is Aurifil.
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• CraftyJnet
                      CraftyJnet commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My favorite too!

I use aurifil for piecing and Connecting threads for free motion quilting. No problems with either one

Comment

I used to use Coats and Clark cotton. hard to find. now use Connecting Threads Essential cotton. in bobbin and top. I have a Janome. it likes both top and bottom to be the same and hates Aurifil unless i keep changing tension which I hate doing. check everything on your machine. that is likely the culprit.

Comment

Working...
                      X