Batting Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting Tape

I am going to be working on some wall hangings for my house using panels that I bought a number of years ago. I have a tote full of pieces of batting that I would like to use for these but I will have to join pieces together. I have a friend who has used the Dritz batting tape to use up pieces of batting and says she has not had any problems. She has had some experience with this stuff but sounds like it was minimal. Has anyone here used this type of material? Any problems I should look for?
    Carlie

I've used it in quilts, no issues! It's all about your quilting I've even ziz zazzed pieces together butting them up, not overlapping.

Comment

• CraftyJnet
      CraftyJnet commented
      Editing a comment
      I zig zag them too, butting them up next to each other and no overlapping.

• sewUK
      sewUK commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too so with the widest zigzag you have

I saw a Best of Show at Kansas City and quilter said she pieced her batting using that stuff. Since she won BOS, I figure if it's good enough for her ginormous quilt, it should be good enough for a wall hanging. I zigzag pieces together for small projects as momofmonsters mentions above. Probably quicker then tape stuff. Just need to trim batting for straight edges so they butt up nicely. Really personal preference.
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I have stitched batting together but I end up with lumps and bumps, maybe stretching. How do you make sure it does not get stretched out of shape?
      Carlie

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I found a wide ziz zag helps with it not creating a a bump. The denser seems to create a lump. When I lived in Europe I did this quite often as packages took longer and I was most productive there. I stayed home and went to college online.

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        Bonnie Hunter talked about pieced batting in her blog today. She said not to stretch it, just let the feed dogs carry it along and that it might be necessary to loosen the tension.

In this video, Karen gives tips for cutting and splicing together batting scraps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8HibPi65XQ

Comment

I haven't used the tape, always stitched pieces together. I have a fear of the tape not adhering after the quilt has been washed a few times. It's probably not an issue, just my own apprehension!
        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I've never used the tape. I just zig zag the edges. The secret is to keep the sections flat & definitely use a wide stitch. I've never done that for a quilt, just block practice sandwiches & smaller items.

Comment

I have used it and a zigzag with no problems.

Comment

I have used it but wasn't that impressed. It works. You do have to be careful -- the kind I tried ironed on. Depending on what type of batting you use, you may need a pressing cloth between the batting and your iron. I think it's just as easy to use a zig zag stitch. I trim the pieces first to make sure the sides are straight before I stitch.

Comment

This post gives me such anxiety. When I was still a new quilter, I made a gift baby quilt, and zigzagged two left over battings. I didn’t even worry as I did it! Now I wonder if that quilt held together.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
                  CarlieBlilie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't worry over zigzagging them together. My issue was that sewing batting together didn't look or feel smooth. I think now that I had my stitch too narrow and will lengthen the width as Joy suggests.

One of my machines has a stitch that is sort of like a zig zag, it stitches 3-4 times towards the front/right then 3-4 stitches toward the front left, it works great to join batting.
                I use the tape when I already have a quilt partly sandwiched and need to add batting, no problems yet.

Comment

Claire, I’m glad you mentioned that. I’ll need to check out my machine to see what works best.
                  Carlie

Comment

I think they call it a running stitch...the lady from Just Get It Done Quilts recommended that stitch for connecting pieces of
                    batting. I have a Frankenstein piece of batting that I keep adding to from the larger leftovers from my quilts with the intention of using it for my ugly quilt. I’ve been using that same stitch to connect the batting with no issues, but since I haven’t actually used it in a quilt, I can’t speak to its durability. I just didn’t want to deal with purchasing another notion, if I could use the materials I had on hand to do the same job.

Comment

I use a wash a way tape that is used for my embroidery machine projects too.

First, lay the two pieces on top of each other. Trim a straight edge on the batting pieces. The straight edges helps the joined edges lay flat. Lay the tape over the two edges. Stitch with a wide zig zag. Leave the tape as it washes out.

The tape isn't necessary but I like that it helps hold the edges in line.

Comment

Working...
                      X