quilting a stretchy knit fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting a stretchy knit fabric

I want to make a teddy bear for my grandson using a knit jumper that my daughter wore on her first day of kindergarten. I intend to quilt the fabric, most likely before I cut the pieces for the bear. I read in a post from about a year ago that Pellon SF101 is good to use for t-shirt material, being a fusible interfacing. I'm not familiar with that product and I'm wondering if it will make the bear a little stiff. I want to use a lightweight cotton batting, just to give the knit fabric some density. I don't know if the fusible interfacing is good for this or if I should just forget about quilting and just sew the bear with the batting. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    ~ Carol from PA

Do you own a serger or have access to one? I (myself) would use that instead of the stabilizers. There are tutes on Youtube for quilting with one.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I don't have a serger. I've looked online at some but not recently. I didn't think I would get much use out of one. But thanks so very much for your reply!
      ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Sf101 is a thin woven cotton stabilizer that is not stiff at all. It will adhere to the knit and make it not stretch and be more durable.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know! I appreciate your reply.
          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

There is a stabilizer I used to use for my embroidery machine. It's meant for backing the stitches so they don't itch your skin. Its super soft and flexible, knit like. There are different brands.

https://www.amazon.com/Sulky-America.../dp/B001EQTFKA
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
            X