Straightening fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straightening fabric

Ok, I am going to try and ask this as clearly as I can.
    I sometimes get a little "elbow" when cutting strips of material for borders etc. I think I read this was because the fold of the material isn't always true and you should straighten your material before you cut.
    Not sure how to do this but I thought you just refolded aligning the selvedge edges.
    Now I have 5 yards that I need for border and binding. Would I cut from the length to avoid seams, therefore no straightening, or how do I straighten and cut WOF.

Any ideas sure would help me.

Thanks
    Debbie

I would RIP to find the straight then you can realign and trim and start cutting strips.

Comment

• debbie1952
      debbie1952 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry don't understand. Do I just snip and RIP near the edge and it will give me straight edge?

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think lori answered before I saw. Yes you cut an inch and RIP the fabric WOF and that's a true straight of grain. I always do this when I'm piecing backings too. I don't like trying to cut more than a yard of fabric and try to get a straight cut.

I rip too. But cut down more than an inch or you won't have anything to grab onto.

A member posted this for cutting strips. It seems simple but it works. I bought a bigger size square ruler after watching it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bkJKQwq4FI
    ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

Thanks, looked it up and I now understand. Would you cut WOF, for the long borders and seem or do them the length of fabric. Any advantages or disadvantages

Comment

I have cut the length because I was doing a coin quilt and didn't want any seams. The disadvantage is the hassle of cutting it and not having enough table space. ๐Ÿคฃ
        ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

If you have enough yardage to cut your borders without seams I would certainly do that. In the future if you have to cut across then it is best to straighten/square the fabric to avoid elbows.

Comment

I think I heard long ago that you line up your selvedges and 'swivel" the edge horizontally back and forth until there's no 'bulge' in the yardage below. If you can understand that๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿค” it might work for you ... it seems to work for me. If I can find a video I'll post again!

Comment

This is what I was trying to explain! Did someone once say "a picure is worth a thousand words".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ULIiZ6CgM

Comment

• auntiemern
                auntiemern commented
                Editing a comment
                This is the method I use. Best way I have found.

I think the key is to put your ruler on the fold and make a perpendicular cut. I was teaching my mom to quilt and she kept lining her ruler up with the cut edge of the fabric, then she couldn't figure out why she kept getting the elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by sewUK View Post
                This is what I was trying to explain! Did someone once say "a picure is worth a thousand words".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ULIiZ6CgM
                Don't you just love when you can show what you mean๐Ÿ˜„ I think most people learn to "line up those selvages". Fabric isn't wood, it moves, lol
                ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

First, make the fabric dance as in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcpzwJMVTbc

You will get elbows in the cuts if you aren't cutting at a true 90 degrees. Get the fabric selvages aligned and place the fold on a line on your mat. The ruler lines need to match the fold line. Place the ruler straight along the bottom edge of fabric and the left edge of fabric.

If you aren't straight at those corners, you will get elbows.

Comment

Here is a quick pic for you. Fold of fabric on the mat line. (It may look off as I was trying to do this quickly).

IMG_1135.jpg

PIC 2 Put the ruler line on the fold line of the fabric. Good luck!

IMG_1136.jpg

Comment

Thanks everyone, this helps very much

Comment

Working...
                      X