Marking a quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marking a quilt

I hand quilt and have tried using different washable pen, chalk pens etc. to make the designs. The washable pens are good but if you don’t get it off in 2 weeks it’s almost impossible to remove. The chalk works good but I’ve had to wash and soak at least 3 times and even then you can still see some color especially on the very light fabrics. I’ve thought about using a very hard pencil, like a 7-8 or 9H. Any suggestions?

I've used dressmaker's pencils and don't have issues with it coming out. One it took me 4 years to hand quilt. Mark's came out on the first wash.

Comment

where does one get dressmakers pencils??

Comment

Do they come in different colors?

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a silver one, not sure. I sew clothes too so I use it to mark on patterns too. Sounds like washable markers might work too, probably would show darker with those.

I have used Crayolas washable pens without any problems. They come is assorted colors.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

• Monique
          Monique commented
          Editing a comment
          I have used those as well. I also use the special mechanical pencils with white and black leads.

so far, what I've found on dressmaker's pencils are one's I've tried before. not good reviews for most. Was hoping for something new and good.

Comment

The General's (brand) chalk pencils from FQS are very good and come in white, silver, blue and pink. I never had a problem with them not washing out, but had the opposite prob. I am also a hand quilter and if you mark too big of a section with these the chalk will rub off from moving and re-hooping so you have to work in sections. My last quilt I used Crayola Washable markers and they worked great. Took me 4-5 months to quilt and all the marks came out in the wash w/o color catchers. Someone on the forum rec these and said she had left her marks on 5 years and they still came out so I decided to try it. Only color I did not use was the yellow bc I thought it was too hard to see it.

Comment

I used the Crayola ultra washable markers on my most recent quilt, and had some trouble getting the marks out (especially the black). I finally used some non-chlorine whitener (Mollie’s Suds) and it came out cleanly.

Comment

Look for "tailor's chalk".

Comment

Working...
              X