Help/Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help/Thoughts

I am working on a UFO that is a sampler quilt, both pieced blocks and applique. There are going to be 42 12-inch blocks but that isn't big enough to cover my queen size bed with a good drop. I want to add about a 4-inch sashing but was thinking of doing a garden maze. Wondering if that might be too busy. I only have 12 blocks completed so far but they rest will be simliar. Thinking a navy blue with a cream in the middle for the sashing. I'm also planning a border of 5 or 6 inches. Would it look weird to not continue the garden maze? Should the sashing and borders be the same width? Thoughts?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Carlie

Goodness gracious, that's beautiful! What's your gut telling you? My first thought was a stop border, piano key border, stop and then an outer border the same width of the piano key or a little wider if necessary.

It is going to be beautiful when you're done. Go with your gut! Your quilt will tell you what it needs as it grows.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Didn't know what a stop border was so looked that up. I like that idea as it would separate the colors nicely.

How pretty. I like your colors. I skimmed through some borders and there are so many to choose from! How about this one

border1.jpg

Or did you think of sashing it to make it bigger?

quilt-layout.JPG

🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Claire Hallman
      Claire Hallman commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost always like sashing to add to the size and to separate the individual blocks. Cornerstones add zing, too.

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't think of the cornerstones and I really like the look. Just not sure what color to use for the sashing since I have cream in the outside of the blocks. Maybe navy but I'm going to have to see it with the material to know for sure.

Since it is a sampler quilt anything goes. Look at the one Jenny is doing now (monthly) with stars. You can make the blocks larger by adding different size sashings. Hope that is understandable. This will be spectacular no matter how you do it. I did a stop/piano key/end border for a queen size for my bed and it came out very nice to give a good drop.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

yes, i think sashings will set each block off well. individualize them. test some colors next to them. lovely blocks!

Comment

Thanks so much for your thoughts/ideas. I will be going to the quilt store tomorrow and see what I can put together. In the meantime I think I will spend a little time in the sewing room and see what colors work best. I know I don't have enough of one to make all the sashing/borders. Now I'm wondering how it would look if I "frame" each block in a contrasting color and then do the sashing. Ummmm, lots to think about. Thanks again.
        Carlie

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          Take your blocks with you. I've always found the ladies at my favorite quilt stores are always helpful finding fabrics that I wouldn't have thought about.

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, already have everything together including my handy quilt calculator.

I might be too late for your shopping trip, but I was thinking for sashing maybe a homespun or some kind of mini or tiny check. Just not gingham because it is too thin. Your sample blocks look great! Can't wait to see what you choose.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinkIng along those lines too. I found a marble like green in my stash that looks pretty good but I am going to try several other colors and small prints.
      Working...
      X