Ever made a quilt from Jeans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever made a quilt from Jeans?

I have a bunch of Jean's that I was going to trash because they can't be worn in public due to holes. I'm always cold, I was thinking why throw them away, I can make a quilt.
    I have a couple questions, what do you bind it with? I'm going to use batting and cotton on the back. I know it'll be warm but that's what I'm going for. I made a similar one out of heavy fabrics and love it but hate the binding I used. I used scraps from the quilt. I machine tied the middle and quilted the boarders. Thanks!

Rachel

Have you thought about making a rag quilt? I haven't done one but have seen them made from jeans and they really look warm and snuggly.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've made a couple, not a fan. I did it with the already cut blocks from the accuquilt.

I have a denim quilt that my mom made years ago. We love it. It is sturdy and wears like crazy. It is warm and heavy. We did weighted blankets before it was a thing! Also have a denim quilt in the car for picnics.....nothing pokes through it when you are sitting on the ground!

Comment

corduroy front (2) copy.jpgcorduroy rag on sofa.JPG you could still do cotton on the back even if a rag quilt. just cut your batting squares without seam allowance. seams should be 1/2 inch if possible too. rag well!! now this is not a jeans quilt, needless to say. can't find the one of jeans.
      Last edited by nativetexan; June 14, 2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I've made several actually. Two rag types, with no other fabric and no binding, one mock cathedral window with all black denim, and working on a crazy quilt with added bits of silk, lace, and ribbon.
        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

91C0B1F7-FCF0-4D29-AC66-000E8D1A5094.jpeg I have made several over the years. My favorites are backed with fleece, I usually buy an inexpensive blanket = no seams. I sometimes add batting, sometimes not, depending on how heavy I want it to be. (My grandkids fight over the one I made my daughter, with batting, last Christmas). I like a light fluffy poly, not heavy cotton batts for denim quilts.

if your backing is big enough, the method of turning the edges of the backing over to the front and stitching down works well for denim quilts. Since I am using fleece fabrics, it gives them a soft edge to snuggle under. The ones my family use have held up well.

I sometimes tie them, sometimes loosely machine quilt, depending on my mood and who I’m making it for. No detailed patterns, just enough to hold things together. The one I’m working on now, I tried using a ruler for a scallop pattern on some open spaces (backs of trophy jean jackets) and that was not a good idea. It looks great but has been a battle - that I will win eventually, but hasn’t been an enjoyable project.

This is the one I made my daughter last Christmas
          sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
            Momofmonsters5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!! Beautiful! Kids are funny. Our house favorite is the warm quilt..I made it out of flannel, homespuns, fleece, corduroy and Jean fabric. I don't like the way the fleece piles. Not sure if it was just that certain one. I love your pattern!!

• Cowgirl quilter
            Cowgirl quilter commented
            Editing a comment
            I would love to have designed the pattern, but actually I bought it off Bluprint, which, alas, is no more. It was called the Blue Giant denim quilt, by Stitch and Yarns pattern store, and came with patterns to cut the pieces from jeans legs. The cutting was surprisingly more difficult than I thought it would be and took big jeans to be wide enough - but I love how it turned out.

Some fleece does pill. I have been using blankets and they must be a little different content because I have had less trouble with them, but maybe I just got lucky. I don’t know why you couldn’t do the same edge finish with a high quality cotton - maybe even wide enough to double the folded part when you bring it to the front.

oh good grief cowgirl quilter, that is beautiful! wow!

Comment

Cowgirl that is a really nice quilt! I have one I piece years ago and then put it to the side. For one thing its too big and too heavy . I have no idea how to quilt it and am afraid it would be too much for my long arm, so it sits in the closet. I will be following this thread for info.

Comment

I always thought the faux cathedral quilt was fun. There are lots of tutes and pictures if you do a search.

cath quilt.jpg
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Cowgirl quilter
                Cowgirl quilter commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a box of circles cut to make one of these some day, too

here is one. great idea. https://www.quiltingroomwithmel.com/...dow-quilt.html

Comment

I made this for my grandson. The vehicles in the blocks are in-the-hoop appliqué using flannel. The rest is all up-cycled denim, mostly jeans. The backing is flannel and I used bamboo batting. The binding is denim, also.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                  Momofmonsters5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is so nice! I love that idea!
              Working...
              X