New to Ruler Quilting - Ruler gets caught behind foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Ruler Quilting - Ruler gets caught behind foot

I'm glad I found you all! I'm experimenting with ruler quilting and am using a 2" circle ruler. I noticed that when I'm going to the back (or upper part) of the circle, my shank/ruler foot doesn't sit high enough to allow the actual foot (the round part that the needle goes through) to slide against the ruler. Instead, the back of the shank/foot holder (for lack of a better term), bumps against the ruler.

The ruler foot I bought is for a low shank machine, which everything indicates my BabyLock Espire ESP is. Am I missing some technique that I'm not seeing on the videos? Everything I watched indicates the actual foot should be able to get around that circle unimpeded. (Of course, I expect to have the exact same problem with any other ruler in which you use the inside edges versus an outside edge.

Thanks for anything you can point me towards. I'm beginning to think it's a foot problem and not a ruler problem (standard 1/4" rulers).

Here is a very descriptive video that explains low and high shank ruler feet for different types of machines and also the thickness of ruler templates. I hope this helps.....https://youtu.be/VSPUmj-EieM
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, thank you! Between the video and a trip to the quilting store, it looks like I'm using a low shank foot with a high shank ruler. That makes so much sense now.

To just be more confused the store's documentation on my machine says it's a high shank machine - but all my accessories are low shank. 😁 Now, to go find low shank rulers!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment

I'm glad you found a solution! I have Babylocks and it never occured to me if they were high or low. I found this if you haven't seen it already. It's a BL video about rulers.
        https://www.babylock.com/learn-and-c...shank-machines
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
        X