Tshirt quilt binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tshirt quilt binding?

• I am making a tshirt quilt backed with fleece (I know. Not REALLY a quilt because only 2 layers... ok. I am making a quilted blanket...). ANYWAY.... can I use a poly blend material to bind the quilt? I found the perfect color, but it is not 100% cotton. I was thinking it MIGHT be ok, since the T-shirts’ are all pre-shrunk and the fleece is polyester anyway...
    • Advice?

I can't say from experience but I think the fleece would be way too bulky for binding material so I think regular cotton would be fine. I usually cut my binding 2.5 inches (folded in half, machine sew on front, hand stitch the back)-- but in your case I think I would push that up to 3 inches bc of the thickness of the fleece.

Comment

Oops I just re-read your post and I didn't even answer your question. Poly blend?? Not even sure what that is exactly. I only use 100% cotton so my previous answer is useless! I am so sorry. Idk how to delete that post. I am sure someone much more knowledgeable will see your post and give you some better advice!

Comment

I don't know why you couldn't use a poly blend fabric for the binding. Be careful of using a really hot iron.

Comment

My grandmother made us quilts in the 70's from polyester fabrics. The backing was folded over to the front for a self binding. She used a feather stitch along the binding to hold it. The quilts are still fine.

Comment

A poly blend fabric would be very stretchy. I don’t think it would do well for binding.

Comment

• oldmanquilts
              oldmanquilts commented
              Editing a comment
              Not all "poly" blends are stretchy. It depends on the weave. There are some "blends" that you couldn't tell from 100% cotton until you smell it when ironing. BTW- there are 100% cottons that is very stretchy as well.

I've been wearing t-shirts for a long time. There isn't a shirt in my drawer that is 100% cotton. Probably hasn't been in the last 30 years or so. I've seen a lot of blends that were heavy on the poly side that you could pass off as 100% cotton- until you wash it. 100% cottons don't do well. Your binding with poly blend will no doubt be fine. Do it.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• MSN
              MSN commented
              Editing a comment
              I got curious and checked the label of the T-shirt I'm wearing. It's 100% cotton, and less than 5 years old. However, I concur that poly-cotton binding will be just fine.

A lot of Hawaiian prints are made from poly or a blend, they hold the bright colors so well. The Ugly (Hawaiian quilt) i posted a little while ago was all poly/cotton. So I say yes.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have a log cabin quilt that I use fleece as the backing, no batting. I quilted it, and like Rhonda's Grandmother, I pulled the backing fabric to the top and hemmed it. Whenever I do that, I trim the back 2" larger than the top all the way around. And guess what? The edges last a lot longer than 100% cotton binding. I have made several quilts with minky on the back and did the self binding. It's a lot less bulky doing it this way than making the binding from minky or fleece.
              Vonnie

Comment

Working...
              X