Using hand embroidery to quilt a reversible quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using hand embroidery to quilt a reversible quilt

I have been asked by a friend to make a queen-sized quilt with a panel of a Klimt painting. I am going to use batik fabric and make hexagons for the rest of the quilt top. I don't want to machine quilt over the Klimt so I am thinking of doing hand embroidery and having that serve as the quilting for the panel section of the quilt. The issue is that I want to make the quilt reversible. I am using Japanese fabrics for the quilt back, and I have a piece of that fabric that will serve as the panel on the backing. I have hand embroidered a couple of crazy quilts so I am comfortable doing the embroidery. My question is do I have to go through the backing when I do the embroidery/quilting or could I just go through the top and the batting for the front panel and then embroider/quilt the panel on the back again just going into the batting? Or should I just try to make the stitches on the back panel quilt small so they don't show that much?‚Äč
    Kimt panel womanin white.jpg

Wow, that is amazing. Sorry I don't have an answer for you as I don't hand quilt but those that do will be along soon to help you out.

Comment

That will be absolutely beautiful! Love your ideas!

I don't see why you can't do as you said. You will be anchoring the quilt down. I have made several quilts where I quilted the top to the batting (or flannel) and then added the backing (which was minky) and did a couple of stitch in the ditch around some borders. They have held up very well over the years. I don't like to over quilt when I use minky for the back since it is so thick to begin with.

I really want to see the quilt when you are done.
      Vonnie

Comment

Working...
      X