Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just found out about quilting.

Hello everyone,

As I said in my presentation, I just discovered quilting and I find it fascinating.

I am currently writing to you from France . I think this idea is so great that I want to try it myself.

Do you need any special material? What kind of fabrics?

Thanks in advance to those who will answer me

Ps: I bought my overlock machine some time ago thanks to this site, as I didn't have a lot of references on the subject, I appreciated the info I got on it.
    Last edited by vivelasieste; July 23, 2020, 10:09 PM.

For quilting most of us use 100% cotton. washed before cutting, that way no shrinkage in your quilt. There are tons of video's out there on how to quilt. you can use other fabrics, as in Crazy Quilts done with silks and other fabrics with tons of different stitches to show off. there are bed quilts, wall quilts. table toppers, mats and so many other sizes and uses for us to make. I have a few lovely British and French quilt magazines i love to look through from time to time. We dream a lot!
    welcome and enjoy this forum (from Texas USA)

Comment

I usually use quilter's cotton. Jenny does tutorials each Friday and I usually have a list of patterns I want to try out.

I guess the tools- I wouldn't know what to do without my seam ripper, cutting mats and rotary cutters. Can't forget my iron! lol

Enjoy the journey!
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Hi, welcome from Texas! I lived in Germany for a few years and belonged to a quilt guild. I know you have fabric stores in France because some of the girls would go. It'll be an investment at first. I would watch some of Jenny's tutorials on here to get an idea of what to buy. Some things might be cheaper buying from the states and shipping versus buying there. You have some great quilt stores in Europe where I found fabric for 5$ euro a meter. You just have to search! We're an informative group! Welcome again!!

Comment

Hello and welcome from another European I am a little lower in the Basque Country and I know some fairs in the Biarritz and Saint-Jean-de- Luz area they are very famous and there are great French sellers and they have beautiful fabrics. With respect to this forum I have had quite a few years and it is incredible and the peaple that make it up are fantastic

Comment

Welcome from Colorado, USA. There should be videos on YouTube that may be helpful in getting you started on your quilting journey. It seems like one can find almost any info. on the internet. You'll need the initial tools like a rotary cutter, cutting mat, seam ripper, a sewing machine of course, thread, needles, bobbins, rulers, & fabric! Learn the lingo. It's a whole new terminology! It may take a while to build up your fabric stash. Start with simple patterns like maybe a 9-Patch or a Rail Fence. I would start with a smaller sized quilt, maybe a baby crib size or lap size. But first practice on fabric scraps to learn to sew a consistent 1/4" seam. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. We're a helpful bunch. Happy Quilting!

Comment

Welcome from Miami, Florida. You are in the right place to get started. As mentioned in other comments, Jenny has a weekly tutorial which will give you an idea on how to start. Bon jour!
              Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

Happy to welcome a new excited quilter to our forum. Ask us any question & you'll probably get more than one answer. Enjoy your journey into the quilting world. Gina

Comment

Another hearty welcome from Wisconsin in the USA. I hope you will visit the forum often and do not hesitate to ask about anything. We were all beginners once! I don't know if you have sewed clothing before but for clothes the regular standard seam allowance is 5/8 inches but for quilting it is always 1/4 inch on everything. I suppose you use metrics not inches in France and I am sorry I do not know how to convert those numbers. Have fun with your first project.

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback and kindness.

I just looked at Jenny's tutorial and I'm even more excited to get started.
                    Yes, I can see that it's going to take a little investment up front. And besides, I've never done any sewing in my life, I hope it will still be okay for me.

thanks for the information URIBARRI-MAYOR, it will be an excuse to go and visit, I don't know the area

Comment

Bienvenue de Canada. The main thing to remember is HAVE FUN!!
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                      X