Quilt design question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt design question

If you are trying to design a block based on a photo you have seen, how do you decide when to use half square triangles vs flying geese if either one would work?

For instance, for a crystal star, the center square could be surrounded by a flying geese (goose?) on each side plus a solid corner square at each corner. Or you could surround the center square by all half square triangles. How do you choose?

I think fabric chose might help with that question. I have some fabric that was directional lines and the pattern called for half square triangle and I absolutely hated it because the fabric with those lines looked awful. So what type of fabric are you using? Will it look choppy with that seam in the middle of the flying geese units? There are several methods for making flying geese. Go to youtube and do a search. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...geese+tutorial

Can you post a picture of the pattern and the fabric?
    Vonnie

Comment

What Vonnie said made me think about this. I only made Gooses, lol in a PP class. I had to find a side by side. The geese do look more clean
      tri and geese.jpg
      Last edited by Hulamoon; June 13, 2020, 07:37 PM.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I don’t have fabric picked out yet. It was more of a general question as I have seen some interesting designs and was trying to deconstruct them to avoid buying more patterns for things I can figure out for myself. So it seems that the answer is it depends on fabric choice and perhaps how the block goes together.

I am aware of the different ways to do flying geese and have tried several of them. I did a flying geese border on a table runner with paper piecing and it worked really well. I have also used the no-waste method on a sampler quilt.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

I think it just depends on the fabric as Vonnie says, and beyond that - what block do you prefer working with.

Comment

Working...
          X