New project, new Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project, new Question

IMG_2825.JPG Hi all. I'm back with a new project and a new question. I just started to make this chain link quilt. I would like to add a third row of links to make it a queen-ish size. It is a very simple pattern, yet with it being assembled in diagonal rows, I'm confused on how to add to it. I didn't realize when I bought the book, it is just 53.5" x 64.34". How would you make this quilt larger? I was thinking maybe add 2 links to the top and 2 down, but I'm not sure if that will mess up the pattern?
    Last edited by Saqqara; June 8, 2020, 07:21 PM.

IMG_2826.JPG

Comment

Well I am no expert but my guess is you would need to work from the center and lay out the center diagonal row, making it as long as you want and work your way up to the left corner, reducing each row by two blocks, one on each end and the corner will have 3 in a row, then 2, then 1. Then work on the other side of the quilt going towards the bottom right, and starting at your longest diagonal which is the center, row and keep on reducing each row again by 2. Someone else might have a better or easier method. Not sure how this will sync with the chains or links in your design but it should be pretty evident if this will or will not work once you lay out two or three rows.

Comment

It is noted at this site that the quilters changed size by adding additional row links and/or borders... I am clueless if this is the best way or not.
        http://lrdesignsquilting.com/blog/archives/6406

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          I put my good find in the wrong place, lol. Good find!

Mimi_Howard, thanks for finding those pics! I started to sketch it out on graph paper, but you found two finished quilts that illustrate things much better. Saqqara, you mentioned adding a third row of links. If you put that third ring immediately adjacent to the first two (like the first quilt pictured in the link above), your fabric requirement will be about double what the pattern indicates.

As for size, it looks like you are working with squares that finish at 4" and are set on point. Is this correct? If so, the first two rings of links would have a finished size of about 45.25" x 56.5" (before adding borders). Does your pattern give dimensions for the center? Adding a third ring will increase the size to approximately 68" x 79.25". From there, you can add borders to get to the size you want.

If you decide to go the more complicated route by adding a border between the second and third round of links (like the second quilt pictured in the link), the width of that border becomes crucial. I am happy to work on the math for that if needed.

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Good find! I wasn't even thinking of going that direction.
      Working...
      X