How old is too old for I Spy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old is too old for I Spy

My gd wants me to make a hot pink Kaffee quilt and she picked out the pattern. I swear she goes into my sewing room and her eyes are too big for her stomach if you know what I mean. She wants the Kaffee fabric plus she pulled out a bunch of I Spy blocks she wants me to use. I have made scrappy quilts but IMO those two do not mix. Also she has a queen suze bed and bc she is 9, well she would say 9-1/2 Grandma, I am afraid in another year or two she would not want to use the quilt thinking it's too babyish with the I Spy. I fussy cut the blocks she picked into much smaller squares and considering putting them in strips on the back. Here's a picture of WIP, pink blocks not sewed together in rows yet and just an I Spy sample. What would you do?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

How about Kaffe on one side and I Spy on the other? She could just use the Kaffe side if she thought she was too old for I Spy in a couple years. You could tell her it's like having two quilts.
    ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I like your idea of incorporating the I Spy pieces as part of the backing.

Comment

My first thought mirrored that of Carol's. Two sided quilt. And if she ever really feels even the I Spy is to childish for her, you could still redo the quilt by covering the back with a new backing (sandwich style) and then just tie it, instead of re-quilting.

Comment

i too think doing it on the backing is a great idea. I agree, kids grow up so fast or at least want to do so. πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈ

Comment

Those are good ideas so I'll just comment on the age.. All of my older GD's under 11 are all on their phones, typical. I was going to send them a matching game made of charm squares and got a too babyish from that. But every kid is different. i really like the two sided idea, the best of what she likes right now that gives her the choice.

I forgot to say i really like this quilt. I have two jelly rolls in blues and greens of his and needed and idea at least for one. Thanks!
            Last edited by Hulamoon; June 3, 2020, 04:42 PM.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I like two sides quilt idea too. Every kid is different. My first quilt I ever made was for my son Brandon, I call him Bubba. It was an I spy when he was 6. He's 21 now and still has it on his bed...more of a throw but still loves it. I hand quilted it. I've made him others as well, I'm glad he never retired it!

Comment

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful ideas. I am definitely leaning towards only putting the I Spy pieces on the back. Since I plan on making a plain white back (and will quilt with colored threads) I am toying with laying out the blocks chunky graph paper style to form an upper case M (her first name). That way at first glance you would notice the letter but not really notice all the little pics unless you looked closer. I am going for the artsy improv look.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                  GuitarGramma commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ooooh, I like the "M" idea. A lot!

You're never too old for an I Spy quilt!
                You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Working...
                X