Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to hand piece a crumb quilt in the car??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to hand piece a crumb quilt in the car??

Next month, we will be moving to Minnesota from Idaho, so that's 3 days in the car!!
    I just completed some blocks and figured I could pass some time away by crumb quilting the scraps by hand.
    Any tips? I've never done this before. I'm used to having a sewing table and a sewing machine,
    but I figured if people did this 150 years ago without any special rulers and whatnot tools, it can still be done, right?
    Last edited by quiltmom3; June 2, 2020, 06:32 PM.

What a great way to pass the time on a long car trip! Many years ago, I learned how to hand-piece using templates. No need for templates here, just sew your pieces together with a 1/4" seam (just eyeball it). I used just regular sewing thread, but ran it across a block of beeswax or thread conditioner to help keep it from tangling. I did not knot my thread when starting a seam. Instead, take one stitch and pull the thread through until there is only about a 1/2" tail. Make another stitch through the same holes as your first stitch and pull the thread through until it lays flat (don't pull it so tight that it scrunches the fabric). Then make a third stitch on top of the first two stitches (using the same holes). After you have anchored your thread as described, make a series of running stitches. After every 1-2" of running stitches, make one backstitch by starting your next set of running stitches just before where the last stitch ended. This will help "lock" the stitches in place. This tutorial illustrates the process much better than I can describe it: https://www.instructables.com/id/Hand-sewn-Scrap-Quilt/

A comfortable thimble will be your friend.

Also, welcome to Minnesota! What part of the state will you be settling in?

Comment

I second that welcome! I've never heard of crumb quilting and will be looking into that!
      Carlie

Comment

Oh you could definitely do that in the car! It might be helpful to have a small hard surface on your lap like a travel size cutting mat or even a wooden cutting board from the kitchen. A thimble, small scissors and some wonder clips to hold your pieces together should be all you need. Oh and needle and thread lol. Better take a couple needles in case you drop one and can't find it. Good luck in your new home, hope it is closer to your family!

Comment

do you have a little wooden roller for seams? it is like the wall paper rollers they use to press the paper seams down on the wall. just pressure. something sturdy in your lap and press seams, and on you go to the next one. otherwise you can use your finger to press the seam flat like Donna Jordan of Jordan fabrics does.
          I have had my wooden roller one for many years but cannot find my Kwik Klip for safety pins! good thing i don't do pins often. Have fun!!

Comment

What a great way to pass the time while on the road. The only thing I can add to everyone else's recommendations: Make sure the shocks of the car are in good order (no bumpy rides). Would hate to hear the driver hit a pot hole and you ended up with a needle imbedded into your thumb. Have a safe trip and welcome to your new home!

Comment

Absolutely a great way to pass the time. I've made a lot of hexis and later sewed them into a table runner. When I knew a long road trip was coming, I would pre-cut squares- any size you want - and sew them together into rows (as long as you want). Have made several lap size quilts for my grandkids this way - uses up a good bit of left over fabric.

Comment

Congrats on your move (if it's what you wanted of course)...You'll be passing my way! Enjoy the views you will surely see on this trip!
                This was something I always did in the car...not crumb quilting but cross stitch or hand quilting a quilt (not piecing)..was always pleased with the amount I could accomplish in the car. Good luck and safe travels.

Sage, crone of car stitching.
                😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

Working...
                X