No announcement yet.

Wondering how to best sew Pineapple blocks together when seams aren't opposite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering how to best sew Pineapple blocks together when seams aren't opposite

Just finished pineapple blocks, using Creative Grids pineapple tool (worked well). Directions and all tutorials say/show that seams each round are pressed out. However, now when trying to adjoin blocks, the seams end up on top of each other (bulky)...not laying opposite direction and can't nestle...?? Do I re-press every other block the opposite way, press affected seams open now, or am I missing something? First-time newbie on the Forum lol ...Thanks to anyone who has help to offer

I just made a small lap sized quilt of these blocks form my scraps. I basically just pinned a lot and matched as best I could. Most came out really good. Then because of the bulk, I pressed my seams from joinging the blocks together open.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!
      I haven't made any pineapple blocks myself but maybe you could try spraying the seams with a little water and pressing them. I do that a lot with difficult seams. They lay flatter that way for me. Or press the seams open to remove some bulk.
      ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Is it possible to turn every other block
        one or two rotations to change the direction of the seams?
        its been awhile since I’ve done a pineapple quilt. It would help matching seams and reduce the
        bulk if rotating will give you the different direction of your seams.

Comment

How about adding sashing, it would solve your problem. Thick seams are my nemesis.

A teacher that came to or guild once said it was OK to clip seams on the bias near the intersection to flip them so they would mesh. I do that often and it works fine. I haven't had any problem with them coming apart after quilting.

Comment

Working...
          X