Using batiks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using batiks

I've never sewn with batiks before and always thought they were a delicate fabric and that I might have to starch for cutting but have just learned that they have a much closer weave than regular cotton fabric. I have a bundle of different pieces and thought I might try a wall hanging something like this idea - this pattern is Kaffe Fassett fabric

FREE SPIRIT PATTERN.jpg
    My thought was instead of 'triangle squares' and the problem with sewing bias that I would just stick to squares ... or do you think I'd be ok with the triangle bias🤔 Suggestions please

I'd use best press and go for it.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Use a SHARP needle. When you sew with it the wrong needle will make a popping sound. Batiks that come straight from the country stall will sometimes have wax still on them. A friend brought some back from Bali.
      "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        I totally agree on the sharp needle. I usually use a Microtex. It's really not necessary to starch the fabric.

If my fabric is going to be cut on the bias, I press with Niagra spray starch prior to cutting. If it's going to be cut along a grain line, I use Best Press. When I'm using Batik fabrics, I use a Microtex needle, usually a 70/10 with 50 wt. thread for the smallest hole possible. Whatever way you cut it will be good, because in my opinion, there is no such thing as ugly Kaffe Fassett fabric.
      Barbara

Comment

Here is a squares one I saved from Pinterest. I seem to save color blocking ideas.

kaffee.jpg

"People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

• sewUK
          sewUK commented
          Editing a comment
          I had that picture saved as well which made me realise I could try squares instead of half square triangles. My pic had a label at the side so I zoomed in and saw it was Free Spirit - Modern Trip Around The World. There is a site where I can buy the pattern but I think maybe I could work it out myself especially as I will be using odd sizes of fabric. Thanks for the tip anyway

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking off you when I was looking around and didn't post this. But now that you said different sizes here is one using batiks. It's called the confetti style. If you like more of a modern artsy look I think it would be fun to make.

https://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/...e-details.html
          https://exuberantcolor.blogspot.com/...-finished.html

The quilt in your photo appears to be made with half square triangle (HST) blocks. If you use the method of stacking 2 squares of fabric, draw a diagonal line from corner to corner, sew on both sides of the line, and cut on the line to make 2 HSTs, you shouldn't have any issues with bias.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I find batiks to be pretty stable but do agree with the draw a diagonal line method working well.

Comment

Nope if it was me I would save myself the HST hassle and just do squares. More of the Kaffe design will show like that and his fabrics are so pretty all those deep saturated colors!

Comment

• Teen
              Teen commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto....I am of the same opinion. Depending on the size of HST, his fabrics blend one to another not sure you'd even see the HST.

Check out Donna Jordan's tutorial on using Kaffe Fassett fabrics -- a combo of regular prints & batiks -- all by KF. The quilt is called Abundance. She saw it on display at the Houston Quilt Show. It is all HSTs, but it's on my bucket list.

Comment

Working...
          X