Re-basting quilt after 505 spray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-basting quilt after 505 spray?

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and new to quilting! I'm currently working on my second quilt and decided to try out spray basting. My first quilt went fine when I used safety pins, but the spray was a disaster! Wrinkles everywhere, large and small! I'm not sure where it went wrong.

Is​ it possible to redo the quilt sandwich and re-baste the quilt with safety pins? I'm afraid to pull it apart. I tried ironing the sandwich to see if that would remove the wrinkles, but it didn't do much. I'm also thinking that the top and backing would need to be ironed again before re-basting, but wouldn't all the adhesive cause issues with ironing it again?

Appreciate any help!

I baste a lot of quilts. When you baste I start with half of the top, spray then flatten fabric, do the other half. Turn over and repeat. If you see a wrinkle, you can lift the top or backing and smooth. I've had to do it. I never iron. I have one I basted years ago and still I can fix it. Add spray as needed.

Comment

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Can I take apart the sandwich and start all over, even though I've already sprayed it? I peeled a little bit of the corner and see that the batting is leaving some "hairs" behind.

Another issue is that I really can't spray inside my house due to size, ventilation, kids, etc., so I would need to do it in the garage on a tarp. I'm just worried it's not going to be flat enough taping the backing down on a tarp if I were to spray half and flatten on the tarp. On my first go, I had to spray the whole backing and bring it into the house, tape down, put the batting on it, then spray the whole top and bring inside.

Sorry probably too much info, but I'm such a newbie!

Comment

If you get the back as flat as possible. Then roll up the batting. I spray a strip, less than 12" and unroll the batting, smoothing as I go. Then roll up the top and repeat the process.

Do you have a table you could work on? That might be easier on your knees.

At my old house, I used pipes to roll my batting and quilts on and worked the batting and quilt top pretty much at the same time. Of course the flooring was particle board under the carpet and pinning the backing down to the floor made it fairly easy to get the backing straight and tight. Sigh, that's the only thing I miss about that house!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I've never used the basting spray. I use pins.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I've recently started to spray baste and it takes a little getting used to. I had the same problem you did, but I learned that spraying in sections: back to batting, hand pressing the wrinkles out, then the next section, repeat with the top. It is much easier with a smaller quilt, but I did manage to do an oversized queen as well. My best advice? A little goes a long way and if you need to reposition do it right away.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

I spray baste using a long flat board. folding my quilt onto the board up to half way. spray and unroll slowly, flattening as I go. Since your whole quilt is sprayed you will have to lift one end and carefully move that half over the other top half. careful of getting the sprayed back onto the top. it will stick. this is re-positional so one can smooth out wrinkles. sticky but can be done. don't remove all at once. i'm afraid you will get yourself all caught up in the quilt. take your time smoothing things out a bit. do not stretch. Good luck!!

Comment

Thank you all so much for your advice! Really appreciate it! nativetexan or anyone who would like to chime in, would I need to do all layers separately? So, take apart the top and batting, work just the batting onto the back first like how you described gradually, then do the same method spraying the batting + adding the top? I'm a little scared to pull the top off of the batting, but there are wrinkles on top as well!
                Last edited by tkebab; May 24, 2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Do in sections, I've even just lifted the wrinkle and pushed it out to the side. If that makes sence. You should be able to smooth out wrinkles. Just start from the most center and smooth out. I've never taped anything and done queen size. Don't work against it just work with it and smooth out. It really went make a difference if the batting does what you say. It'll self heal one quilted and washed. Hope that helps!
                  Last edited by Momofmonsters5; May 24, 2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Thank you Momofmonsters5 and all who gave their input! Okay, I will try this out!! Crossing fingers!

Comment

for future reference- https://cluckclucksew.com/2017/04/ho...e-a-quilt.html

Comment

Originally posted by nativetexan View Post
                        This is great! Do you have any suggestions for doing this method outside or in the garage with a tarp? I'm not sure if I can get the quilt back totally flat if I have a tarp down.

Comment

I use 505 all the time when I decide to do my own quilting instead of sending to a longarmer. Unfortunately, once sprayed, it will stay sticky forever so you won't be able to back track. All good suggestions given. I like to roll and flatten by sections as mentioned, however, I do not spray all over. I just spray in spots instead of all over. You will find that, once you begin to quilt, you'll be smoothing out as you go. My suggestion is to start in the center and work to right...then flip and work from center to left

Try using a large sheet instead of a tarp. Tape the four corners of sheet to garage floor so that it doesn't shift. That may help with smoothing as you go. Good luck!

"You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Great advise from all here. I have a three step method using pool noodles. Don't laugh at least not yet . First I iron my backing and roll on noodle 1. I then roll my backing on noodle 2. I then lay noodle 1 with backing fabric and lay noodle 2 with the batting on top and spray very lightly with 505. Roll out the batting slowly and flatten it out. I progress slowly down and once I have backing and batting done I flip and give a light press, that way I can be sure I
                            I get any wrinkles out. Once done I do same process with the top. this way I can correct any puckers before I give it a final pressing. Hope this helps .
                            Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

• Patricia Drew
                              Patricia Drew commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I use the same method, except that I use boards. It works beautifully and I never ever get any "wrinkles" ... I always flip over to check, I've never had to peel back and reposition. Also, it's amazing how fast this method is.

Wow! All such fantastic advice! It sounds like there are multiple ways to go about basting with spray, but the common theme is to do it in sections and not all at once. The book I was reading said to spray all at once, but of course, they had a design wall, which I don't have and never will due to space. And pool noodle is a great idea! For larger quilts I could probably duct tape two together

Comment

Working...
                            X