Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldmanquilts
    replied
    Why even cut triangles "to size" in the first place? About half the quilts I do are on point. For side-setting triangles I add a piece, the same width as the row, but it may be a square, or longer, in the appropriate position. Once the quilt top is completely sewed, I cut them off all at once. This doesn't waste material. It make actually save some. Pre-cutting pieces to size potentially wastes more.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied
    The last quilt I did on point I put the first 3 rows together and they seemed a little short, even using a qtr inch presser foot with seam guide and trying to sew and press as accurately as possible. So I ripped out the side triangles (one at beginning one at end of each row). I cut new pieces about 1/4 inch larger than the directions said and it worked out much better that way. Don't cut out all your pieces for the whole quilt until you figure this out.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied
    And the main reason for cutting like that is so they are not stretchy on the sides or corners of the quilt.

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied
    It's a quilt laid out on point. The side triangles finish the rows that run diagonally on the quilt. The corner triangles are on the 4 corners.

Leave a comment:

• classynsassy
    replied
    Yes, these are setting triangles for a quilt that is assembled on point.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline T.
    replied
    Sounds like your quilt blocks will be "on point",

Here's a link that will explain the term and how to...

https://phoebemoon.com/tutorials/on-point.htm

Leave a comment:

• CarlieBlilie
    replied
    I’ve never heard that one either. Looked it up and it is squares cut on the diagonal to make 4 triangles, just like you thought 😄

Leave a comment:

• Claudiaj
    started a topic term I am not familiar with

term I am not familiar with

I am starting a new quilt and the pattern says-4 squares 11 1/4 x 11 1/4 cut each square twice diagonally to make 16 "side setting" triangles-you will have 2 extra.
    Does this mean just to cut corner to corner to make 4 triangles.
    The next says 2 squares 5 7/8 x 5 7/8 cut each square once diagonally to make 4 corner setting triangles-I think I understand that but was not familiar with the term "side setting". Thank you
Working...
X