Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting supplies

Hi,
    I keep wanting to make different things and find that I'm missing interfacing and or fusible fleece, things like that. My question is, how to decide what to stock up on and how much? I'm always running out of interfacing, I buy a yard at a time and annoying I'm always running out. I downloaded a quilt sew along and she uses sew in in facing for applique, of course everywhere It's sold out. I'm thinking I may do raw edge since I have a bolt of wonder under.

I never know what to have on hand and how much is a smart buy? I've found when I've tried to buy things for projects I end up not making them. Like I need a cover for both my long arm and sewing machine as well as my daughters sewing machine, I need fusible fleece or other stabilizer. Lots of it. Joanns coupons come in great handy. I like to just make things when the mood strikes me and not wait for supplies. Just wondering how others handle it or what you have on hand as a norm? Thanks in advance!!

I have stocked the stabilizers (emb machine) and the different fusibles. Typically, I purchase 3-5 yards but have also purchased whole bolts at sale times just so it is ready for projects. All supplies are organized and labeled so it's easy to find the right one.

I don't want to wait for supplies either! LOL!

Comment

I generally wait for a sale or use coupons at JoAnns and buy 3 yards at a time. I pick up empty cardboard bolts from the store.....they will generally give them to you as it is trash or recycling for them once the fabric is gone. Sometimes if they are not busy, they will wrap it back for you. If not, I wrap it on, being careful not to stretch it, and include the instructions kind of plastic layer for referencing later. I make sure to mark the end of the bolt with a sharpie. I like to have 3different weights or kinds of interfacing on hand, some fusible, some not, based on what I use. I also do this with wonder under and other similar products. They store with less mess and are ready to use as you need them. I find this amount lasts awhile, but not so long the fusible separates or gets gummy. You kind of have to see what works for you.

Comment

I always try to have enough of every thing at home, so I can start if I have an idea. Here around where we live is nothing to shop for any pw stuff, I have to go to Berlin or order online. The first takes me a day and the other 2-3 days or more. So when I come to shop fabric etc. I buy more than I actually need.

Comment

Thanks! I just started doing a lot of projects that need different interfacings and j keep buying a yard and I go thru it in no time. I appreciate the help!

Comment

There's a bunch out there and it can be a bit confusing. With a bit of research you can usually narrow it down to 3-4 interfacings, and 1 or 2 fusibles. Each pattern writer might have their favorites, but there's always another brand which is comparable, but named differently. That makes it seem like there are a lot of different types required. I figured out what my needs are and order online. Joannes, even with coupons can't compete.

You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Like you, I don't want to wait when inspiration hits.. Sometimes, I have an alternative that will work. I applique a lot so I keep abundant supplies for my preferred applique method. I, also, keep stocked up on different interfacing but typically only a couple of yards of each.....this is usually enough to get a project started while I order the balance. The other day I saw a pattern that used fusible felt. I have zero felt in supplies...lol... The other items I really need to stock up on are zippers and snaps... There is so much to this craft. Lol..
              "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, right before this pandemic I wanted to start craft shows. I stocked up on snaps, elastic and zippers. I should have interfacing. Everywhere local is sold out of all sewing accessories. LOL Annoying I've been sewing for over 20 years and everyone is taking it up and buying everything. I welcome new sewers really, I can't even get needles here! Thanks, I'm ordering more supplies online.
            Working...
            X