Cutting !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting !

Of all the things that factor into an accurately pieced block, I seem to have the most challenge with cutting the fabric. (I also have had issues with stripology ruler due to - I think having the fabric folded even slightly off.).

I feel like I’ve gotten worse or perhaps with more experience I see the inaccuracies more or am going faster than I should be.
    I’m sure there are no magic bullets to improve my skills in this area but was wondering if others have or have had challenges with this and any advice or useful tips/videos you’ve used to improve.

Thanks
    Donna

I didn't like that ruler. I think it was hard to use slots. Maybe try changing the style and or size of your cutter. It sounds simple, but if it doesn't feel good in your hands? I just bought a pair of new dress shears. Even though it's the same company (Kai) the handle and blade metal was different from my other pair. My dd used them and wanted them. I'm sending her a pair as a surprise and Amazon must of sent them from Japan, cuz it's taking forever!

Anyway, that's just an idea.
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

I can't use that ruler....I'm never able to get the fabric folded accurately and my strips come out with elbows. I use a 6 x 24 Creative Grids ruler and use a dumbbell on the end to help keep it from moving under my hand.
      Barbara

Comment

I actually love my slotted ruler... BUT.... I did find one thing that really did mess me up, not just with the slotted ruler but all rulers. I found as I got more comfortable with the rotary cutter and confidence in my skills, I started to get inaccurate cuts! The #1 cause of my inaccurate cuts turned out to be because my blade wasn't truly vertical while cutting. I had a tendency to tilt the rotary cutter ever so slightly which does change the measurement. Now that I'm aware, my cuts are better.

Comment

I don't have the strip ruler.

I will over cut a fabric piece off the the yardage and work with it. Example using 2 1/2 inch strips and you need 4 of them. Straighten the edge of the yardage and cut say 11 inches off. Then cut the strips at 2 1/2 inches. Yes, a little waste but I can handle a smaller piece of fabric over all that yardage on the table.

Check that the fabric is aligned selvage to selvage. Many times the center fold is off on the bolts. Line the straigt center fold against a line on the mat. Line up ruler against the fold and line on the mat. You want a perfect corner lined up before a cut. This prevents a "V" in the cut strip.

Comment

I've never used that ruler but cutting accurately was a challenge for me, as well, when I first started quilting. I learned to align my ruler with a specific spot on the grid line of mat and use that spot every time. Those grid lines are thick lines and if not aligned at the same spot with each cut, or your rotary is slanted and not straight, measurements will be off.
            "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

These tips really helped me: https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/02/making-cut.html
              Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

I feel like I do a pretty accurate job of cutting fabric. I always press it first. I try to line up the selveges & press a new fold line if necessary to make sure the fabric is lined up accurately. I also use my Creative Grids rulers for cutting. I purchased the Stripology ruler, but I did not like it & gave it away. It also helps to have a sharp blade on your rotary cutter. Things should get easier with time & experience.

Comment

I have the stripology mini and was so excited to get it but I do not use it nearly as much as I thought I would. For me slotted rulers don't get as clean of a cut if you are trying to go through 4 layers which isn't excessive. I get my most accurate cuts with my CG 12 inch square ruler and Fiskars 28 mm rotary cutter. For me the smaller sized cutter is the one I grab 99% of the time, even though I have the larger cutters too. I also iron my fabric before cutting unless it is a CP or LC.

Comment

While I have a Stripology ruler and love it, Debbie Caffrey's power cutting is a method I've used with good results as well. And like anything it get's better with practice. I always use my ruler for squaring up and cutting, not my matt. That seams to help as well.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Hulamoon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think the reason this works so well is the size of the ruler she is using. I can't see myself using it for anything except for her method of cutting. What is the cheapest of this size ruler out there?

• quiltingaway
                      quiltingaway commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In response to Hulamoon - I always use a 12.5" ruler if I'm using this method. It works fine and is much less expensive than the larger one. I use coupons whenever I can for rulers because they can get expensive.

• Hulamoon
                      Hulamoon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have used this way of cutting before, but used a 6''x24''. That's not really that much room to hold down. So I took your advice and ordered ordered a !2 1/2''. 😁
                      Last edited by Hulamoon; May 21st, 2020, 11:02 PM.

I have problems with my ruler moving while I'm cutting. I'm thinking I may be pushing on the ruler instead of using it as a guide. If any one else has had this problem I'd appreciate any input on how to resolve the issue.
                    Carlie

Comment

• Rhonda K
                      Rhonda K commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A couple of tips for you to try.

It may be the ruler size or the brand. I like the 24 1/2 inch length as it covers the fabric. I don't have to move it to make a cut. You can add gripper dots to the back of the ruler if your ruler doesn't have them already. Try a cut glove with the grippy dots.

Try standing at the cutting table and check your position. Work over the fabric and cutting mat for more control. I only cut smaller pieces when sitting.

• CarlieBlilie
                      CarlieBlilie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Rhonda. I did a little cutting yesterday and really paid attention to what I'm doing. I usually do use the 24 1/2" rulers unless I'm working on something smaller but then they are the ones giving me problems. Seems like I'm tipping my blade and that may be causing the issue. Yesterday I tried to slow down a bit and watched the angle and didn't have as much trouble.

• jjkaiser
                      jjkaiser commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use my 6x24 inch ruler alot for cutting. Someone gave me an ancient iron from the 1940's they got at GW, very heavy with smooth stainless steel soleplate. Has no cord but has a socket built into the base for a cord. Nice wooden handle on top. I use it as a weight on my ruler and it works great for that. Also handy to keep large quilt from slipping off my cutting table when pinning rows together.

I always press the fabric first also. I was taught to use the mat to lay the fabric on not to trust the measurements from the mat. A ruler on top of the fabric is what you use for measurements. I have nothing but creative grid rulers. My daughter gave me the stripology ruler and I also had issues using it so I stuck it in a drawer. I have seen some people use weights of some sort to lie on their rulers so they won't slide. I haven't done that but it does seem like it would be a good idea. I like a fresh sharp blade in my rotary cutter. I have notice that if I want a real accurate cut that I shouldn't do more than 3 layers. I know some of yall can do a lot more but it doesn't work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaraB View Post
                      I can't use that ruler....I'm never able to get the fabric folded accurately and my strips come out with elbows. I use a 6 x 24 Creative Grids ruler and use a dumbbell on the end to help keep it from moving under my hand.
                      You get elbows because your fabric is not straight. You need to fold it from selvedge to selvedge and slide it either right or left until it hangs perfectly straight. I always do that to get the fabric at it's straightest when folded in half.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X