EPP Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPP Thread

I plan on starting an EPP project for the first time (an ombré version of Liberty Stars). I’ve watched several tutorials, and ordered my needles and papers, but I was hoping to get away without ordering more thread. I understand that you want to use polyester thread instead of cotton, and several tutorials I’ve watched mentioned 60 weight thread. I have 40 and 120 weight poly thread. Would either of those be OK? I don’t have my needles yet (I ordered size 11), so I’m a little worried that the 40 weight won’t fit through the eye, and I’m concerned that the 120 weight might be too thin single ply to hold up to the stress. What say you?

I was taught to use cotton thread. In Germany our quilt guild had a member from England and all she did was EPP. She taught us but never said it had to be a certain thread. I have two projects going and I'm using neutral cotton 50 weight. I use hand quilting needles, not sure of the size without looking. Hope that helps and hope I'm not doing my projects wrong.

Comment

I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong, as long as it works for you! When I machine piece, I prefer to use cotton as well. What I’ve heard (based on a couple blog posts, and a tutorial with Sue Daley - on MSQC website) is that cotton thread has a tendency to shred as it drags across the edge of the cardstock, and that polyester was more resilient in this particular case. If your thread isn’t shredding, then go for it!

I guess I’ll just try what I have and see if it works. I’d like to try to avoid buying a whole new collection of thread.😆

Comment

I do a lot of EPP and my favorite thread is Superior So Fine 50 wt. it is a 3 ply thread and sees beautifully. If you enjoy handwork, EPP is easy to get hooked on.

Comment

I like Bottom Line, but not sure what weight it is. I didn't know there was a right/wrong to it - but this is my first EPP attempt - LaPassacaglia, and it's going slooowww!

Comment

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            Nothing like diving in deep on your first EPP. I'm sure it will be stunning.

The one thing that helps me when doing EPP, is making sure I have this product so my thread doesn't knot! A key notion to have for EPP. https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ad-conditioner
          Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

- but this is my first EPP attempt - LaPassacaglia, and it's going slooowww![/QUOTE]

oh, please post pics! I’ve seen that pattern on-line, and love it. If I decide Ilike EPP after this first project I’m planning, I may check that one out.

Comment

My favorite threads for EPP are either Wonderfil Invisifil or Superior Micro Quilter. They're both 100 weight, so very fine but strong, polyester threads. I've never had a problem with either one of them knotting up, and if you choose a neutral color (Invisifil in 'Nude' blends well with many colors), they all but disappear into the fabric. You don't need to have a ton of colors, unless you really want to. I just use a few basic colors all the time.

I would try your 120 weight thread on a sample piece and see if you're happy with the results - it may work well for you. I use a single thread of the 100 weight and it's plenty strong - but then, I tend to stitch very close together.

My favorite needles for EPP are Bohin #9 long applique needles, or #9 milliners needles.

It's all trial and error...it's how I ended up with such a large stash of needles! LOL
              Last edited by SherylM; May 17, 2020, 11:24 AM.
              Sheryl

Comment

Thanks so much for your input. I’ll try my 120 weight, and hope that works well.

Comment

Working...
                X