Log cabins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log cabins

I'm still considering starting the Manx quilt I posted about earlier so - how do you usually set about the everyday usual log cabin block. Do you cut each individual strip to the exact length of the previous 'log' each time or do you cut after you've attached a log to line up with the previous strip. Clear as mud??? Thanks

Don't know the Manx but the few log cabins I have done I did cut each log prior to sewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
      Don't know the Manx but the few log cabins I have done I did cut each log prior to sewing.
      Thanks Claire - just FYI this was the link to the earlier post - interesting I think

https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2019...ilt-block.html

Comment

The Manx looks like a quilt as you go, so I looked one up just for fun.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Y2xMkTb78

Are you going to hand sew yours? I'm just curious.
        "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

my first novice normal log cabin, chain stitching method
          started with centre square then added a square on side,
          pressed placed on the chosen fabric strip then sew,
          added the next centre square x square units till finished the chosen fabric strip.
          pressed x squared all blocks.
          turned placed on next fabric strip sew, pressed squared,
          turned placed next fabric strip, sew carried on till block was size wanted.
          Those blocks are in the sewing room quilt.
          since read 'I love log cabins' my next log cabin pieces will be cut to strip sizes which may be quicker then squaring up each turn.
          good luck with your Manx one.😃

Comment

I've done a couple. I like persisian so I cut each log.

Comment

I'm working on a Chimney and cornerstones, a variation of log cabin. I cut my strips at one time but also did some changing around so that I minimized the cutting by cutting the longer pieces and sewing to the 1 1/2 squares and then cutting them to length. I think it saved some time. I have it all pieced. Now working on hand quilting.
              Carlie

Comment

The log cabin blocks in this quilt were cut with my Creative Grids rulers. I bought the special log cabin ruler, but didn't like it, so didn't use it. This is the only quilt I've made where I had all the cutting done ahead of time. I had all the pieces of the log cabin blocks cut & laid out in order, so it was easy to just keep adding them. There are many web sites that have info. about how to make this block & display alternate lay-out patterns. This was the Freedom's Star quilt I made in 2013 which alternates the log cabin block with the star blocks. These are Henry Glass fabrics. It was a quilt for my son & DIL. It's queen size.
                F.S. Quilt Top Aug. 2013 001.JPGF.S. Quilt Top Aug. 2013 008.JPG

Comment

• grammaterry
                  grammaterry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really beautiful Joy. But then, all of your quilts are perfection

J
                JCY- I don't think I've seen that one before. That is fantastic. Best layout I've seen for patriotic colors. Some quilts just suck me in looking at them- this is one. I'ma thinking I'd like to do this layout in a miniature. Thanks
                You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• JCY
                  JCY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Old Man ~ This quilt was made & posted prior to your joining the forum. There are other pics in my albums. The blocks in this quilt are 12.5" unfinished. Just go to my profile & click on Media. I had this one professionally longarmed. I probably have enough of these fabrics left over to make another quilt. It's on my bucket list. All the centers of the star blocks were fussy cut.

JCY, it is a beautiful quilt and I love the layout. When I finished piecing the Chimneys and Cornerstones I thought I would never do a quilt with that many strips (1 1/2") and pieces, there are 210 blocks, 7 inches each. This just may change my mind. I think my husband may even like the colors and layout. He is always telling me that the quilts are too dark. Not sure what he means. The only quilt he really liked that I recently made was a disappearing 4-patch made for our granddaughter for Christmas. No way could he say it was too dark.
                Carlie

Comment

That is gorgeous, JCY. I am always always looking for the easiest way, and I paid the price on my first 2 log cabins. I tried a sew on strip and then cut method. It was a bad idea, and left me with uneven blocks. Now I cut all strips in advance.

Comment

I'm about to make my first log cabin quilt. Someone warned me that the smaller pieces are difficult to sew with as they may get a little wonky and not make straight lines. Should I use an interface material to give the fabric some stability? How would I go about doing that?
                    I've only been quilting for 2 years so my skill level is low. Maybe I've bit off more than I can chew with a log cabin?

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                      Momofmonsters5 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, long cabins are easy. Just precyt your logs and square up your blocks, then sew them together. I made one as one of first quilts was easy. I'm making one now much like Joy's, I'm on the star blocks.

Thanks for all the great suggestions/ideas. Also found this hint today on MadebyMarzipan - useful do you think?

another tip. I like to label clear plastic bags with the measurement of the pieces it will contain. Make one bag for each size, then hang them on the wall with pushpins, in the order that they will be used. This keeps your workspace clear and prevents you from mixing up your cut pieces. It also makes it easy to find a particular Here’s color or pattern of fabric quickly.

RKChipmunk - you might find this video useful too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nniiZsdpnx0

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      I'm about to make my first log cabin quilt. Someone warned me that the smaller pieces are difficult to sew with as they may get a little wonky and not make straight lines. Should I use an interface material to give the fabric some stability? How would I go about doing that?
                      I've only been quilting for 2 years so my skill level is low. Maybe I've bit off more than I can chew with a log cabin?
                      First of all, welcome to the Forum! You'll find lots of help here.

Log cabin blocks are good for beginners. All your seams are on the straight of grain of the fabric, not on the bias. Less risk of wonkiness. If you press your fabrics with starch or Best Press before you cut the strips, that will add stability, too. No need for interfacing; it will only add bulk and make it harder to press your seams flat.

Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics has a good tutorial on making a log cabin quilt. She shows a lot of ways to lay out your blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFHzO8yOURI

Comment

Did you know there is a log cabin library group?
                        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/ju...-cabin-library

Comment

Working...
                        X