Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuitarGramma
    commented on 's reply
    I used to play Qbert all the time. Love that game. And, like you, I've always thought the Tumbling Blocks pattern looks like the Qbert game board!

• Mdtrimble
    replied
    but using the fabric and the colors Mdtrimble did....well, it is absolutely stunning!
    Thanks so much for sharing....great colors and great job! [/QUOTE]

i wish I could claim it! It’s a picture of the sample quilt from my pattern. I hope to recreate a similar effect with some hand-dyed fabric I bought at the quilt show in SF this past fall. I appreciate all the beta. Sounds like I’ll have to dig out the starch that I haven’t used since my days as a waitress!

Leave a comment:

• MSN
    replied
    I usually am not much of a starcher, but then I don't usually work with so many bias seams. I recently made a quilt from equilateral triangles, and found that starch is your friend. Your BFF.

Leave a comment:

• sewUK
    replied
    Teresa DownUnder shows a "a quick and easy way" to do tumbling blocks - but she makes everything look easy I think. Never made one so can't say but worth a look.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkxfvMVnZV4&t=99s

Leave a comment:

• quiltingaway
    replied
    while I haven't made this pattern, whenever I am dealing with lots of bias I spray starch also. I press the seams open too.

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied
    One trick is to starch your fabric before you cut it, with Best Press or similar. Dont stretch fabric when you are cutting or assembling. Just let it fit together gently. Pin if you want.

Leave a comment:

• Mimi_Howard
    replied
    I made one for my son because it reminded me of the ole Q-Bert video game which he used to play. I was going to post a picture but it seems with the upgrade to new forum it is not there any more. Not sure why one of my folders is now empty but it is. I will try and see if I still have picture on my old laptop to post later. I used the rhombus template by M*.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied
    I can't speak for this quilt, but I have made a king size quilt completely out of triangles. I found it very helpful to heavily spray starch the fabric prior to cutting my triangles.

Leave a comment:

• redcaboose1717
    replied
    This Rhombus Cube Quilt was absolutely amazing! I enjoyed watching the tutorial when Jenny showcased this quilt, but using the fabric and the colors Mdtrimble did....well, it is absolutely stunning!
    Thanks so much for sharing....great colors and great job!

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied
    If your doing one without the seam on the top of the cubes, this is easy to follow. She gives some good tips. I did notice that she presses down instead of ironing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zZWwbPlfc

Leave a comment:

• Teen
    replied
    I pieced a single block recently and pressed the seams open....this eliminated alot of bulk but it also was more accurate in terms of staying true to size. Having so many seams can be tricky. This is a cool pattern and on my bucket list. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• 201 Treadler
    replied
    Hi looks like 'tumbling blocks' for the small box looking structure,
    can 'stay stitch' the triangles, that is sewing within the seam allowance 1/8 or there abouts. A technique normally used in dress making.
    iron press down not back and forth, good luck.
    Last edited by 201 Treadler; May 10, 2020, 09:21 PM. Reason: added Jenny's video

Leave a comment:

• Mdtrimble
    started a topic Equilateral Triangle Pieced Quilt

Equilateral Triangle Pieced Quilt

I am considering my next piecing project, and want to work on the 3-D cube quilt top (not sure the name for this pattern. My understanding is that it wi pieces using equilateral triangles to make the diamonds that you see as the sides of a cube. I’m nervous about piecing all those bias seams (I’ve done a variety of squares and HST, but no real triangle quilts. I’m wondering what best practices you have for piecing triangle quilt tops without stretching the blocks out of whack?
Working...
X