In over my head...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In over my head...help!

IMG_2756.JPGIMG_2755.JPG Hi. I am making a crown royal quilt for a king size bed. I don't have a pattern, I have been using pics off Pinterest to get ideas.
    The problem is, my math skills are awful and I am having a hard time figurine out border sizes. The main body of the quilt is made up of 18 x 18 rows of 4.5"blocks.The inner border is a tan suede blocks that measure 8"x 5". I can trim those to fit because they are a solid color. What I can't figure out is how to decide what size I should make my out border squares so it looks equal all the way around. I have started cutting them as 4 8" x 8"blocks that I am planning on sewing together to form one block. I just realized that I need to do the math to figure out exactly how many blocks and what size to cut them. There has to be a formula for this kind of thing, doesn't there?
    here is the main part of the quilt IMG_2757.JPG
    Attached Files

Oops. The large picture is suppose to be the out border.

Comment

Ok, heres what you do. Measure your quilt. Lets say its 100 x100. You want 8 inch squares. So they will have to be 8 1/2 inches to allow for the seams. divide the 8 1/2 inches into the 100 inches which would be 11.76 squares. See how this works. So, not knowing the exact size you are making it, thats as good as I can do in telling you how to do the math. You may want to rethink either the size of your blocks or the size of your quilt. You can make about anything work if you are creative with corner stones . Someone (and there are lots of someones on this Forum) will have a surefire way to show you perfection and math skills.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

• MSN
        MSN commented
        Editing a comment
        Terri, I agree with you about measuring the quilt top. But you should divide by the finished size of the block (8"), not the cut size.

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
      Ok, heres what you do. Measure your quilt. Lets say its 100 x100. You want 8 inch squares. So they will have to be 8 1/2 inches to allow for the seams. divide the 8 1/2 inches into the 100 inches which would be 11.76 squares. See how this works. So, not knowing the exact size you are making it, thats as good as I can do in telling you how to do the math. You may want to rethink either the size of your blocks or the size of your quilt. You can make about anything work if you are creative with corner stones . Someone (and there are lots of someones on this Forum) will have a surefire way to show you perfection and math skills.

Hi. I see what your saying, but the main body of the quilt is 72". with the border it will be 81" because I am making this quilt totally out of crown royal bags, I cut the squares as big as the bags allowed. I can trim down the inner border to 4.5" if need be. The problem started when I decided to make a fancier border. I have several large crown royal bags so I cut them to 8" each and was going to sew 4 of them together to make a 15.5" square so I could incorporate the fancy gold seams of the bag. I haven't sewn the four 8" blocks together yet because I can still cut them down in size. That's why I am trying to figure out the exact size blocks I need to make the quilt completely symmetrical. I will go take another picture of what I am trying to do... image.jpg

Comment

Saqqara,

May I just say, that's a LOT of Crown Royal! It will be a beautiful and unique quilt.

I enjoy quilt math and have a couple of thoughts about how to do the outer border. First, measure the center portion of the quilt. Do this before adding the tan suede border. You said that it's 18 x 18 blocks, so it should be square. You also said that the blocks are 4.5" x 4.5". Is that the cut size, or the finished size? Give me those measurements, and I can work something out for the borders. I love a good challenge!

Comment

• Saqqara
          Saqqara commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi MSN. The blocks were cut 4.5" x 4.5" because that was as big is i could make them from the 750 ml (medium) sized bags. So sewn they are 4" square. I am using a standard .25" seam. The outer blocks will be made From 1.75 ml large bags.
          Yes it is a whole lot of crown royal bags. I was given 165 bags to start with unfortunately, not all bags are the same size. So I ordered more, then added the crown reserve suede bags because I thought it would be a nice break from all purple. This quilt is for my father in law who has been collecting the bags for decades. He didn't want any filler fabric, just bags...lol

72" x 72" 😁

Comment

Are the quilt top blocks sewn together, and the inner borders sewn onto top before trying to work out the next border.
          in second small photo look not sewn, perhaps was taken before sewn
          i guessed 81" finished no seam allowance with inner borders on which would need 9 blocks to fill the 81" but then there is 4 corners to turn
          4 sides x 9 blocks + 4 corners= 40 blocks to make

its the last small photo in first post mentioned above, the second one did not exist on my screen till posted
          Last edited by 201 Treadler; May 5, 2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• 201 Treadler
            201 Treadler commented
            Editing a comment
            now read whole thread with additional posts my math above is wrong

What a fun project you have there! A couple of tips for you when doing multiple blocks of different sizes.

My first choice is to work with numbers that work with each other. This helps with planning out the final layout of the quilt blocks. The 4 inch (finished) blocks aren't going to work with the 5 inch (finished) blocks until you get to 20 inches. You would need to add a sashing between the blocks somewhere so they can fit together.

Remember, cornerstones will get you out of a jam. They can be a contrasting color and added into the center line of the border if you need more length.

Sashing strips also work well when making blocks fit.

Be sure to define whether it is a "finished" size or the "cut" size when planning the quilt features. It's easy to get mixed-up. Good luck!

Comment

OK, here is one option for doing your borders. I followed Rhonda K's excellent advice about using numbers that work with each other. In this case, I recommend playing with the width of the inner border to make a smooth transition between the body of the quilt and the outer border.

If you make the outer border as you have proposed, using 8" squares sewn into a 4-patch, you will end up with a 15.5" square. The finished size of these 4-patches will be 15". (By the way, I really like how you have laid them out). Trim the tan suede inner border strips to be 2" wide (keep the crown if you can, centered in the 2" strip). The finished width of the tan suede strips will be 1.5".

The center portion of your quilt is 72" x 72". If you add the skinny tan suede strips to all 4 sides, you are adding 3" to the length and width, ending up with a square that is 75" x 75". This number works well with a 15" border. Your 4-patches will fit perfectly around the 75" x 75"square. You will need 24 of the 4-patches. Finished size of the quilt will be 105" x 105", which should work for a king size.
            Last edited by MSN; May 6, 2020, 10:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• Rhonda K
              Rhonda K commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for planning out the math part!

Originally posted by MSN View Post
            OK, here is one option for doing your borders. I followed Rhonda K's excellent advice about using numbers that work with each other. In this case, I recommend playing with the width of the inner border to make a smooth transition between the body of the quilt and the outer border.

If you make the outer border as you have proposed, using 8" squares sewn into a 4-patch, you will end up with a 15.5" square. The finished size of these 4-patches will be 15". (By the way, I really like how you have laid them out). Trim the tan suede inner border strips to be 2" wide (keep the crown if you can, centered in the 2" strip). The finished width of the tan suede strips will be 1.5".

The center portion of your quilt is 72" x 72". If you add the skinny tan suede strips to all 4 sides, you are adding 3" to the length and width, ending up with a square that is 75" x 75". This number works well with a 15" border. Your 4-patches will fit perfectly around the 75" x 75"square. You will need 24 of the 4-patches. Finished size of the quilt will be 105" x 105", which should work for a king size.
            Hurray! Thank you! . Now I can finish this sucker. I appreciate your help.

Comment

It was my pleasure! Be sure to post pics of your quilt. Your father-in-law is going to love it!

Comment

20200603_170237002.jpg Thank you MSN and everybody who responded. It is ready for the quilter. IMG_2818.JPG

Comment

I even fussy cut the crowns for the border IMG_2819.JPG

Comment

• MSN
                    MSN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I noticed that! It really accents it nicely. I especially love the crowns in the corners of the inner border.

That looks wonderful! Way to stick to it!
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

WOW!!! what a quilt! tons of work but worth it.

Comment

Working...
                    X