Rail fence leftovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rail fence leftovers

i just finished sewing a rail fence quilt. I have lots of pieces left over from the strip sets (about 3” wide). Any suggestions what quilt to use these strips in? I’m sure there’s a great quilt pattern so hoping someone can help me out.

One suggestion would be to alternate the 3" wide rail fence strips with a solid color -- it wouldn't have to be the same colors, & make a scrappy quilt. I had a lot of batik trimmings left over from when I made the Two-Step quilt. Some were 2.5" strips 4" wide. Some were 2.5" squares. I combined them into a design of my own for a table runner. I used a light colored Grunge as the sashing & border. Batiks Table Runner - May 2018 005.JPGI had made the Two-Step quilt from Layer Cake squares. I'm sure you'll come up with a plan.

Comment

Oh, I like that idea myself! I have some leftover 2.5" partial strips that I have been wondering what to do with!

Comment

You could also use them as a scrappy border.
        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

This is your opportunity to express your creativity. Make a quilt that is chaotic by just reaching into your scraps and sewing them together. Make them haphazard in angles and when you have sewn a good many together, cut the new fabric into squares and then arrange them into a quilt. You will become really addicted when you see the outcome. You may want to use your newly created squares to make potholders or even face masks, arm chair covers, or a table runner. Even a fun wall hanging for cheering up the bathroom. Imagine all the fun tag lines you could add to a wallhanging that is so random.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe you could make a Morse Code Quilt. I'm waiting for a book I ordered to get some inspiration. There is a lot out on the web. There is a fun tool out there too. It's a translator and you can send messages to folks in Morse code with or without the translations. Hey, we are in a pandemic, a little clean fun now and then won't hurt!
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Working...
            X