Leftover Charm Squares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leftover Charm Squares

I was going through my fabrics the other day and found a bag of leftover charm squares. They are all random and I'm trying to decide what to make with them. I have a bunch and some are Christmas and solids, prints...you get the idea. I'm thinking maybe placemats if I have enough with the Christmas prints. I was just wondering what you all like to make with your leftover charms?
    Tracie

I think first I would press them all, then separate them into lights & darks. Determine how many squares you have & if it's enough to make a quilt or if you need to save them to mix in another project. The possibilities are limitless. If you want to keep the Christmas fabrics separate, making place mats would be an option. The charms also can be cut to make small 4 patches, or they could be used to make HSTs. Random colors & fabrics of HSTs make colorful quilts.

Comment

• Tracie T
      Tracie T commented
      Editing a comment
      Great ideas! Thanks!

Falling Charms is a good idea, too.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Tracie T
      Tracie T commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that would be nice with random charms too. Thanks

5inch charms gosh you can choose any of these https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...5%22%20squares there is only 12 pages 😂

Comment

• Tracie T
      Tracie T commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, really!

I make HST out of the leftover ones, using a solid to pair them, then end up with a scrap quilt eventually. Takes a while because I rarely use charms
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

You could make ornaments for your Christmas tree with the christmas prints. A small wallhanging would be another idea for any of the charm squares.

Comment

I sometimes use these random squares to make a block or few if I have enough coordinating then I applique them on a flour sack or a tea towel to make a decorative dish towel. These make great gifts to have on hand for family and friends.
        One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Tracie T
          Tracie T commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea!

• Murphy224
          Murphy224 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great idea Trudy! You could also coordinate a few, cut them in half, sew end to end to make a scrappy border strip and stitch to a towel. I sometimes use border fabrics to make a strip to sew onto tea towels. Using those leftover charms would be a great idea. Thanks again

These totes are really easy and go together nicely with a variety of charms. I made a lot of them a few years back as favors for my daughter's bridal shower.
        https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...one-charm-pack. I added a pocket to the inside as a little something extra.
        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Tracie T
          Tracie T commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! I forgot about that tut. Thanks

I always wanted to make a checkerboard or postage stamp. Seems like anything goes.

https://www.redpepperquilts.com/p/tutorials.html
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Tracie T
          Tracie T commented
          Editing a comment
          Love that! Thanks for the link.

Love all the good ideas! Every now and then I dip into my leftover charms and make hand warmers. They are like the bean bags only small enough to fit into pockets. Two in the microwave at 60 seconds and they are lovely hand warmers to keep fingers toasty while waiting at bus stops or comfort at other areas. I keep two along with a larger bean bag in my desk at work. They are great for the small of the back or both sides of the hips when the larger one just won't spread that far out. Well, on ME they don't spread that far out. I love having these on hand and plan on giving them as Christmas presents to my co-workers.
        Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
        "Carlie Rae" - Babylock Crescendo

Comment

That's a clever idea!
          Tracie

Comment

Originally posted by ncgrammie View Post
            Love all the good ideas! Every now and then I dip into my leftover charms and make hand warmers. They are like the bean bags only small enough to fit into pockets. Two in the microwave at 60 seconds and they are lovely hand warmers to keep fingers toasty while waiting at bus stops or comfort at other areas. I keep two along with a larger bean bag in my desk at work. They are great for the small of the back or both sides of the hips when the larger one just won't spread that far out. Well, on ME they don't spread that far out. I love having these on hand and plan on giving them as Christmas presents to my co-workers.
            This is one of those duh things. I have a spot on my back that nags me like you and I have to warm up a huge electric heating pad.

Thanks for the idea!
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I do alot of applique so charms are always a perfect scrap to hang on to for the small pieces of applique. That way I don't have to cut into any larger pieces just for a small piece. Sometimes, I'll make a quick tote bag with charms, too.
              "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I would separate out the Xmas ones for a future holiday project. You can take the other charms and make Jenny's Super Simple Hourglass quilt. It is really fun, easy and fast and the more random seemingly mismatched colors and prints you have, the better it turns out.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that out!
                  Tracie

Comment

Working...
                  X