topstitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

topstitching

I am relatively new to quilting and although I have long-armed all of my quilts (rented a shop machine, then bought one!), I am never sure what to quilt. Should my stitching reflect the piecing (squares get rectilinear pattern)? the theme (flowers for a girls quilt)? contrast to the pieces (curved piecing gets straight lines)? Help!! I am interested in anything but stitch in the ditch and would love to hear your thoughts/experiences. TIA

Knowing what to quilt onto a quilt is always the major question for me. My skills are limited so that is one decision done but I do tend to try and fit the quilting to the quilt. I like something curvy on straight piecing, flowers on flowery fabric and my all time favorite is paisley. I have quilted sunflowers onto a fall quilt and cotton bolls onto the Bonnie Hunter design Roll Roll Cotton Boll.
    Hope my rambling is a help and welcome to the forum.

Comment

I'm not one to give advice on this except to study a little bit. I think if your doing a quilt like a D9P and it has baseballs in it, it really won't matter much because those prints are going to swallow anything you do on it. On the other hand take a look at these customized ones. They almost seem easier to me because you can play inside the empty spaces, like doodling.
      https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ng&FORM=HDRSC2

in Hawaiian quilting they pretty much only do one design. Echo

echo.jpg
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! For me, this is the hardest part of making a quilt. I've never been a doodler, but I think it's really helpful to doodle some designs. Can get your hands on a piece of plexiglass that is roughly 18" to 24" square? Place the plexiglass over a section of your quilt top and sketch out some designs on the plexiglass using a dry-erase marker. (Caution: Make sure you are sketching on the plexiglass only and not on your quilt top.) It's a great way of auditioning ideas without having to rip out actual stitches. A bonus is that you are building muscle memory for when you actually do the quilting.

For inspiration, Lori Kennedy has lots of wonderful tutorials. I am using her pine needle and pine cone designs on the border of a wall quilt with a "cabin up north" theme.

https://lorikennedyquilts.com

Also, take a look at the quilting designs that forum member Swedish Leo (Annika) is doing on painted fabric. They are spectacular. Here is but one example:

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/fo...-some-quilting

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          I forgot about using the plexiglass. I went and looked on Amazon and some are not to expensive. There is a 12''x12'' for $16.00. That is big enough for one good size block or smaller. Think how much templets are? yikes

I've been FMQ since 2012. I learned on my DSM, but I now have a table model LA. I took 4 in-person classes, but most of what I learned came from books & videos. If you aren't familiar yet with Angela Walters, I highly recommend you visit her web site, check out any of her tutorials on YT or buy some of her books for quilting ideas. Sign up for her free quilting tutorials that come out weekly (when she's doing them) via your e-m. Some quilters are fans of Leah Day, but I've used more of Angela's designs. There are many FMQ videos on YT. Take advantage of all the free info. that's out there. It takes practice, so don't be discouraged if your progress seems slow.

Comment

welcome to the forum
          firstly do what makes you happy
          tend to think about the quilt then just go with the flow and add a few designs,
          my last was circles quilted with blue rainbow thread there were loops flowers meandering circles curly do da's combined with some twin needle sewing for appliques, was fun to do, was a circle theme. but you can do just an all over pattern, echo quilting, it all depends on whether the person using quilt all the time or as a decorative item, your time amount of thread can also determine pattern, wavy lines can look good, so can quilting each element with different designs, all depends on how you feel on the day. Sometimes how the machine behaves.
          welcome 😁
          T

Comment

Yes - Angela Walters, and if you want to get into ruler work, she has created some neat rulers that are smaller than others so easier to hold on to and they are made by Creative Grids which means they hug the fabric. I just got through using the SID ruler which stands for stitch in the ditch. Sometimes you want to do stitch in the ditch to emphasize an area. I'm doing one quilt for a friend that has stars on it so I stitched in the ditch around the stars and then did grid work for background because the print was too busy to show the quilting.

As for the plex-a-glass, try a home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot. I bought several sheets of plex-a-glass from Home Depot and they cut the glass to the size I wanted for free. I bought 1/8 inch thickness. Paid $2 for an 18" X 24" sheet. Then read somewhere on the net that you should put duct tape around the edges so you won't accidentally draw on the quilt. Also said to write "Top" on the top side so you won't put the dirty side next to the quilt.

I had another sheet cut smaller to use on paper pantographs. Sometimes you need to change something on the pattern - like when you get to the end of the row, just write/draw on the plex-a-glass. Also, the plex-a-glass holds down the pantograph for you.

If you did not get the computer with your machine, I suggest you buy a couple of easy pantographs for when you are in a hurry or the top is so busy that the quilting won't show up anyway. I bought one of these and its really great:
            https://www.goldenthreads.com/shop/p...e-pantographs/

Angela Walters:
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0p...e32TnNQ/videos
            Angela Hoffman:
            https://www.youtube.com/user/kytriplets2/videos
            Last edited by Vonnie; May 2, 2020, 09:09 PM.
            Vonnie

Comment

I have a sit down LA. I have used a friends stand up..I love panos. I don't have room for a frame. Last one I did was a falling charms. I stitched in the ditch on the blocks and since they were flowers, I did flowers and leaves in the open neutral space. ..I usually Google the quilt design and look at images of what others have done. Good luck!!

Comment

If you're new to FMQ, I suggest getting a white board with erasable pens to practice. You also can practice on paper. Practicing the design helps to build "muscle memory".

Comment

Thank you to everyone for such wonderful suggestions! I guess I have a bit of homework and practice to do. :-) Your responses are quite helpful.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. What to quilt is always a challenge. When I first started on my sit down LA, I was trying every design I could manage, using rulers and FMQ. I have a favourite design - orange peel on square blocks. The other I key he quilt inspire me. If you chave capability to use pantographs, that's my favorite when I rent a LA oN a frame.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                    X