Framing quilt panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Framing quilt panels

Hi, I am hoping someone will be able to give me advice on how to frame a panel of a quilt. My grandmother loved quilting and after she past I was given the unfinished quilt she had been working out with the help of my grandfather. I would like to frame the panels and have the frame engraved with "Made by the loving hands of _____". I will then give each of my aunts and uncles one on mother's day. Does anyone know where I can go to get this done? Thanks for the help.

I would think any framer would be able to do this.

Comment

I'd start with asking people you know if they have framer they like. Then talk to them. Right now, I would thing finding one open would be the hardest part. You definitely want archival framing, with the glass that prevents fading and no acid in the matting if you're using matting.

I don't know any framer that would be able to get them done by Mother's Day, though. They've always taken 3 weeks + for me, but that's with normal circumstances and right now, if you can find someone, they may jump on the job!
      Katrina
      โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€ Maya Angelou

Comment

Check with your local quilt stores, but I'm guessing they may be closed due to the pandemic. Make an inquiry of the local quilt guild. They might even have someone who does that type of work. But none of the guilds are meeting now due to the pandemic. There should be a phone no. for contact listed on their web site. Our guild had their last mtg. on Zoom. Do a "how to" search on the internet. I agree, you won't be able to get this accomplished in time for this year's Mother's Day, which is just around the corner.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will pursue your recommendations. Based on your responses, I will work on getting them done for Christmas.

Comment

First thing I was thinking is are you going to be ready for the sticker shock of this project? I took in a cross stitch made by my uncle to a mall frame shop and it was pretty high, so I never got it done. Then I took an oil painting from my grandmothers About 2' x 1 1/2', no glass to a private framer. Frame and paper backing for $160.00. And you want engraving too.

Maybe Christmas to get some estimates. That rule of getting three works pretty well for most skilled professionals I found,, just having to remove a huge tree stump. lol

Good luck on your thoughtful project ๐Ÿ˜Š
            ๐ŸŒบ Lorie

Comment

If you can mitre a quilt border you can mark a mitre on wood, lol

you may need a circular saw just think major big rotary cutter ๐Ÿ˜ just as dangerous.
              a Router that put bevel edges on wood to make a area for the glass to sit, , the router looks like picture the new Yankee workshop photo) pencil and quilt ruler for angle, sander to make all smooth.
              If you know a joiner / carpenter they will already have tools and safety know how x equipment,
              the engraving could be done by your self with a dremel multi tool, or pyrography tool, even stamping letter on metal with dies and hammer.
              the anti glare glass will be the most expensive part, or you could try plastic glass from your do it yourself place.
              Many amazing skills and tools needed for one picture frame.
              Hope you manage to get sorted.
              T

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Hulamoon commented
                Editing a comment
                You know that made me think of Craigs list. There are plenty of skilled people out there that need work. You never know how helpful people can be. I wanted my old professional bakers scale sandblasted (he recommended chemical stripping) and was going to pick it up for me. So maybe look or put up an ad. Just a thought.
            Working...
            X