Quilt Top size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Top size

i have found a new love and have made several table toppers. I am moving on to a quilt. No question is a dumb question right? I love a few of the tutorials, but want to make them bigger to accommodate a king or queen quilt. My question is about where exactly should borders start - edge of top before it hangs down, right off the top at the start of going down the mattress? Or should a coup,e of rows of blocks go,over the edge (small blocks). I want the quilt to hang over the edge about sixteen inches and have ample blocks made. I'm just not sure how this part works. Thanking you all in advance for any assistance/advice.

I would make blocks beyond the top. Stopping right at the edge of the mattress looks like the border was out on as an afterthought in my opinion. Also, the quilting will draw some of the width up. That said, also take into consideration is the quilting you plan to put into the borders. That could be another beautiful element to the quilt. I have done quilts both ways so it is an design decision

Comment

In addition to the quilting potentially shrinking it up a bit, don’t forget that when you wash you will also get a bit of shrinkage. I would definitely have at least one row of blocks over the edge in case of shrinkage.
      Debbie

Comment

To me it depends on the pattern and over all quilting pattern. Are you going to quilt the borders differently than the body of the quilt? There's no right or wrong way.....no quilter police!

Comment

I think it depends on the pattern you are using. I make mostly king size quilts for our bed. For example, first one I made had 49 twelve inch blocks and borders. This allowed the quilt to cover and drape over 4 pillows. Others I made are not as long, but I have made pillow shams. I made the Jaybird Boomerang and Gravity quilts adding extra blocks to the edge, as these don't have a border. It's your quilt, you can make with inner & outer borders start where you want bi suggest laying out on your bed before final assembly. Good luck.
          Attached Files

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• 201 Treadler
            201 Treadler commented
            Editing a comment
            wow how did you manage to quilt the second quilt, with such even curvy circle lines nice apron xx

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
            Editing a comment
            All of these were quilted by a long-armer. The first 3 were done in my first year of quilting and I didn't know that I could quilt them myself. The next one was done at the LQS that I rent the long arm.

I've made some tops that the blocks fit the top of the bed. they look fine. The choice is always yours. it's gotten difficult to find patterns in magazines or tutorials for any size bed. there are patterns out there somewhere for bed sizes but seem to be far and few between. Have fun!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the Cozy Quilt Design patterns. They all have multiple sizes from crib to kingsize. So if I like the pattern I can make it again in another size, fabric and it's doesn't look the same.

• nativetexan
            nativetexan commented
            Editing a comment
            Cozy quilt. I will look them up. Thanks.
        Working...
        X