Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrestling the quilt when machine quilting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrestling the quilt when machine quilting.

I am new to these forums. I have played with quilting off and on over the years. After retiring, I decided to get more serious about quilting. I love piecing but I am not great with the quilting. I am trying to learn free motion quilting but I still use a walking foot to stitch in the ditch.
    My question is: What do you use to keep the quilt rolled up while wrestling it when quilting. I have two things that look like bendable horseshoes but they don't hold it tight and they fall off. I tried pool noodles but they are bulky. Should I just use large safety pins on the roll and hope they don't make big holes from the tugging?
    Thanks in advance.

Oh my, there should be some youtube video's out there on this. I fight with mine too. Good luck.

Comment

Honestly I've shared this issue and the horseshoe things are a waste of money. I tend to bunch....or roll. The struggle is usually with the slack. I found that if I have tables to control the over hang it's less of a struggle. I use gloves as well...there's a huge difference with and without gloves. Hope that helps!

Comment

my treadle table and machine are level, its a case of lifting stuffing and ensuring can move under needle before lifting stuffing and moving some more for me. do use a free motion grip which saves hands.
        could use a wardrobe rail to lift weight of quilt, but the rail would need fit over table left side needle, that wont help with right side, but you start in middle of quilt so only need half the quilt loosely rolled stuffed in harp of sewing machine.
        polishing the machine bed with caranuba wax (car polish can help for gliding)

there are dedicated systems, with some interesting prices.
        -where you peg the quilt to wiggling sticks this was seen on youtube.
        -apply hooks to ceiling tie clips to (do not do this if renting home)
        -dog lead metal things that attach to tables, for grooming to hold quilt weight,
        -even seen Ikea hacks to make sewing machine level with table,
        -someone made a level surface around the machine using books
        -if have a ceiling dryer for clothes could peg quilt to that, or even a washing line
        now there is the smaller table https://leahday.com/products/grace-q-zone-hoop-frame the youtube video shows construction.

There are ways, just depends on funds and out of box thinking, of what you have in home at moment.
        let us know how get on,
        Welcome to forum from UK
        T
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You could try Quilt as you go too. There are so many videos on different ways to go about it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...lt&FORM=HDRSC3
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

You could try quilting in sections. Marti Michell has a really good book on this:
            https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=machine...b_sb_ss_i_3_15
            Vonnie

Comment

I have never rolled a quilt to machine quilt. I prefer the smoosh and push method...doing a quadrant at time. Start in the middle and work your way up and out. You never have more that 1/4 of the entire quilt in the throat at any time like that.
              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
              sigpic

Comment

• BarbaraB
                BarbaraB commented
                Editing a comment
                I tripped over this method a while ago just because I had a huge quilt and it was a real pain to wrestle with it. This method is the easiest for me to do. I do make sure my quilt is very well basted.

Thank you for the suggestions. I would love to have a quilting frame to free motion quilt but it is not in the budget. Maybe someday. A girl can always dream.

Comment

I am seriously thinking of quilt as i go or in sections too! I'm too old now to wrestle a quilt!!

Comment

I've only FMQ a few times, but I never rolled a quilt. I just make sure I have enough table around the sewing machine to hold the quilt and I squish and rotate into the throat area when I needed to. I've started in the middle and worked out and around..the weight of the quilt is always on the other surfaces that I have set up near the machine. Good Luck!
                  😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

I've never quilted anything larger than a lap quilt with my DSM. I honestly don't know how people accomplish FMQ on larger quilts. There are many tutorials out there on the web, esp. YT. One of the keys is to not allow any of the quilt to drape over the sides. It needs to be supported by your arms, a table, etc. I used to use an ironing board pushed up against the side of my Sew Steady extension table. I now quilt on a Baby Lock Tiara II table LA, which is so much easier.

Comment

I quilt king size quilts on my DSM and I think the problem is not how you roll or scrunch but whether you have enough space on the left of your machine to hold your quilt up and behind it of course. Then , the roll/scrunch is just a matter of pushing the quilt around without having drag.
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

saw this wooden frame a while back on the now defunct tv channel sewing quarter at 2:57:24

Comment

I just roll mine in tight on both the right and left sides. I set up a folding table behind my sewing desk to take the weight of the quilt behind it. I struggle with the center of a queen size quilt a bit, and have no plans to even try a king. I could use a little more space to the left of me, but for now, I just move the machine over as far as comfortable to the right, and place some of that spongy shelf-liner under the machine to keep it from moving too much. I also use "grab-a-roos" gloves-they really help me push the quilt around without cramping my hands!

Comment

The struggle is REAL! I've tried those things you referred to and I agree that they do not stay on as advertised. The last quilt I quilted, I found it easier to start in the center and work out. I also have my sewing area set up so that there's a six-foot table to my left where I spread out the quilt. I put a surface behind my sewing table at the same level as the table and allow the quilt to rest on it (not going over the back because gravity will make it pull too much) as it goes through the needle. I try to keep the quilt sort of bunched up in my lap so that there's plenty of slack on it. I don't know if this makes sense, but starting in the middle sort of allows you to not pull and tug as much since you're working from the middle out. The last one I worked on had 49 squares (7 down, 7 across). I started on the 4th row, the 4th square in and worked left to right. Hopefully, this will help a little. Also, I use Martelli 8 quilt 'frame' on the quilt to slide it better, a supreme slider, and quilting gloves.

Comment

Working...
                            X