Computer printable fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer printable fabric

Hello everyone! I am currently planning a quilt that incorporates printed images. I need information regarding what materials/methods to insure the most colorfast results since I want this quilt to be washable without losing the images. I have been studying methods using purchased printable fabric sheets as well as preparing my own sheets. Which method gives the most lasting results?
    Thank you all. Stay safe. Stay healthy.

that is a good question, not sure myself,
    I used the epson printer with printable fabric waited is it 10 minutes peel the paper off then washed in sink of water and ironed dry, the printer needs setting up to allow the right amount of ink was it the photo best setting?, at this moment cannot remember setting,
    with normal permanent fountain pen ink ironing ensures stays through wash, so ironing print ink may last longer than not ironing but will need a cloth to save ink getting onto iron. sorry not more helpful.

Comment

• 201 Treadler
      201 Treadler commented
      Editing a comment
      welcome to the forum πŸ‘‹πŸ˜

I (myself) wouldn't trust doing it on my own. I have used Spoonflower https://www.spoonflower.com/en/welco...nt=Spoonflower And they have several types of fabrics to choose from.

Sorry I'm no big help, but welcome to the forum!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Vonnie
      Vonnie commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree about Spoonflower. We have ordered from them several times. I wash the fabric before using in a quilt and they don't fade. They also have a nice feel to them.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. 😊

Comment

I've done several. I noticed the sun fades the images more than the wash. I make memory quilts for family members. My mom hangs the one for my grandmother in the living room. I see the sun fade. The images respond to heat. I would say if you hang dry verses dryer you'd be ok ...make a few mug rugs and test it. My three boys are in the Army and I'm getting ready to do another one that has all their basic photos in a quilt with Army fabric. I of course wouldn't was it as often as others. Hope that helps!

Comment

• Lawana B.
        Lawana B. commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your suggestion of making the mug rugs. I will do that and please tell your sons that my husband and I said thank you for their service. It takes a special person (in your case--people!) to sign up for the military.

The only thing I can add is to be absolutely certain your printer can handle the printable fabric sheets or the fabric ironed onto freezer paper. Unless you are in the market for a new printer..... you can guess how I know this.

Comment

Lawana B. Welcome to the forum.

A long time ago, I made iron on T shirts for one of our scouts Eagle gift. I didn't have much luck laundering with the colors staying true. My DIL used Shutterfly with a dish towel and my grandkids photos, that seemed to hold up better. That's really the only experience I've had with photo printing and fabric.

So, all in all, I'm no help either.
        Katrina
        β€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

JoAnns sells the printer compatible fabric in packs. I haven't had any experience with it though.

Comment

Working...
          X