Applique stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applique stabilizer

I just ironed this applique onto my border and need to sew it down. In the past when I have done applique I put a layer of batting underneath for stabilizer but don't want the extra poof this time. I have also used regular paper but it is a mess to remove. Do I need to use something underneath and if so what would be best?
    The border is not yet attached.
    IMG_1251.JPG

I buy pellon tear away. I really like the washaway tear away but it's expensive. I have used paper and yes it's a pain!

Comment

I must of been doing it wrong all these years. I did a lot of applique on children's clothing, mug rugs etc and I only ever used the fusible product. I only used a stabilizer for my embroidery machine. I'm sort of hijackng here 🤨, but why do you need it?

I was mostly using a satin stitch.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Hi, it's not fusible, you just put in on the under side to prevent puckering of fabric. It's like a thick sheet...it comes in different weights. You tear off the excessive stabilizer when your done.

Comment

Have you tried "Terial Magic"? It is spray on stabilizer. It washes out. I've used it many times. Spray a lot and the fabric becomes very stiff. I spray it much less. No stretching as I stitch in the applique piece. I buy it on Amazon. It lasts a long time.

On another note, I have the pattern from LBQ up on my board. It will be a long time before I have the courage to make it. I hope you post a pic when you're finished.
          Diana Grey

Comment

A friend told me she uses paper towels - I have tried it and it did work. Use this on applique - not on my quilting machine. When done, you pull off and what's left washes away. Can try on sample pieces to see how it works.

Comment

I second Terial Magic. I put it in a spray bottom and cut it about 50/50 with tap water. Spray it on, let it set for a few minutes and then dry iron. Your fabric will have the stiff new fabric feel and works well for appliqué stitching. A bottle of it is expensive but it will last you a long long time.
              Debbie

Comment

• Grey Lady
                Grey Lady commented
                Editing a comment
                I am going to try your 50/50 mix.Thanks.

Lots of people use Heat and Bond for applique.

Comment

Thanks for all the input.
                I am going to try using some of M* paper on a sample and spray something else with heavy starch to try out. I am trying to use what I have on hand. If neither of these options work I will get some terial spray. I think I would like to have it as an option for other stuff.

Comment

Been using Sulky stablizers , so far they work well and not that expensive.
                  Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

spray your starch on used dryer sheets then cut away whats not needed when you are done

sigpic

Comment

I used Faultless Maxx spray starch heavily on a sample, smoke clear poly thread and a small zigzag, it worked just great. I did about half of the applique pieces before my ds came to borrow some yard equipment. I stopped and didn't go back but I was pretty pleased with the results I had so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X