To wash or not to wash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To wash or not to wash?

When you give a quilt as a gift do you wash it first? I’m wondering because I’m finishing up a quilt for a friend and it’s dark batiks and white. So I’m worried about color bleeding if a color catcher isn’t used. I’m sure this is strictly a matter of preference, but I typically don’t wash my finished quilts before giving them away. Just curious what others do. Thanks 😊

when i wash something iffy, i always use three or four catchers. I like being safe. give a box of them with the quilt....

Comment

I wash all quilts once they are completed regardless of whether I give them away or I keep them. I consider this the last step in my quilt construction so that it's free of any dust, lint, oils from my hands and, possibly, my machine. I end up with a fresh, clean completed quilt to use or gift to someone special.
      Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Maria Sews View Post
        I wash all quilts once they are completed regardless of whether I give them away or I keep them. I consider this the last step in my quilt construction so that it's free of any dust, lint, oils from my hands and, possibly, my machine. I end up with a fresh, clean completed quilt to use or gift to someone special.
        Me, too! I usually make a bag to keep it in when not in use.
        “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
        “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Maria Sews View Post
          Same here, I would be mortified if I gave someone a quilt and it ended up having issues. I like to wash, dry then inspect the quilt to make sure everything is as it should be.

Comment

I always wash my quilts with color catchers once complete. It also pre-shrinks the quilt so there aren't any surprises later on.

Comment

I wait till summer before washing, then dry outside, spring has too much pollen. There are times wish had a washer dryer when it rains but then again still have a washer that is working after 15 /16 years of use. used less carbon foot print with no dryer, so all balances out in long run. if its a show quilt do not wash.
              should say do rinse the fabrics in shower drip dry before use. hopefully any shrinkage colour departure happens then.
              gifting washing depends on time of year, my last ones were winter so were gifted with separate washing instructions, how made pattern used and which fabrics used plus the sewing machine used, normally date & sign to with fountain pen on fabric then iron to set the ink, it works quite well. but test on scrap fabric first.😉

Comment

I'm a washer too.

I use to spray baste my quilts (before I had a longarm), so I wanted to know that the basting spray was washed out. Also when I consider how many times I touch my face during the day, I wanted to know that the oils, and anything else, I transfer from my face to my hands to the quilt are also washed away. I also had pets in the beginning and didn't want to be gifting cat/dog fur or dander.

I also wash prior to gifting to make sure that I don't have any seam failures and that if I do, I have an opportunity to repair before sending it off. And in addition, the quilt will have gotten that wrinkly crinkled look, so the recipient doesn't think they ruined it the first time they washed it.

I haven't done many quilts with batiks yet, but the few I did I hand washed a piece of each fabric, with a piece of white muslin to make sure there wasn't going to be an issue with colors running. I did have a few pieces that the color ran, but by knowing in advance I was able to choose a different fabric to use in its place. So far- so good, as I haven't had any finished quilt's colors run.

Comment

Some people like the crisp look of a new quilt, better than the crinkled look of a washed quilt. If the recipient wants to use the quilt as a wall hanging or just to show, I don't wash it before giving, but I do enclose a few color catchers and instructions along with the quilt.

Comment

I don't wash the quilt either. I do include a box of color catchers.
                    Katrina
                    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Most of mine get washed, not all. No rhyme or reason, just depends on the time I have before gifting it. If I'm trying to avoid the crinkly look, I usually mist the batting with a spray bottle of water and toss it in the dryer before sandwiching the quilt. This helps to reduce the overall shrinkage.
                      And I always include a box of color catchers with the quilt.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
                        Nwmnteacher commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try this with my batting on the next quilt I put together.

I don't wash most quilts prior to gifting. I make mostly baby quilts. For a while I washed every one prior to gifting, to be sure & remove chemicals, etc. from the fabrics. Lately, it's been all I can do to get the quilt finished on time, so I haven't pre-washed them. I always include washing instructions in the gift card. I do not pre-wash fabrics prior to making a quilt.

Comment

I always wash too. I use spray adhesive. I like to know everything is good. I use color catchers as well. I don't think I've given a quilt without washing.

Comment

I think people are kind of nervous about washing a hand quilted quilt. Idk if they think it will fall apart or what?!!! I have washed every quilt I have gifted for the last 5 years, and with color catchers if necessary. It seems to reassure people that it will be okay to wash it, they just don't want to be the first one to do it. Also, unless the recipient is also a sewer, the last thing they would think of is what if the colors bleed.

Comment

I wash them because it is the last step in making it. I would never give, or use an unwashed quilt.
                            I had tags made that have my name of one side, and washing instructions on the other side, and I sew one into the binding of every quilt I make.
                            Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                            X