Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homespun top and minky back?

Hello,

Can I use minky/cuddle on the back of a lap size quilt if the top is made with homespun cotton? I know homespun shrinks and minky/Cuddle does not - I just love the feel of Cuddle!

Are you using batting? Are you going to machine or hand quilt this? Those things might make a difference. I don't have any advice for you since I have not used either minky or homespun in a quilt but if I were I don't think I would use them together. This is a personal choice not a quilt police observation.

Comment

Hello Clarire,

My intent was to use batting. I would machine quilt it. Thank you for your response, Claire. I do appreciate it.... I may end up sticking with homespun on both front and back.

Comment

For me I would just wash the cottons first. Your not selling it right? Or make a little sandwich and wash it see what happens.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Holy smokes Lori, you have 22,000+ posts! That ought to entitle you to some kind of award lol

The homespun will definitely shrink, and it should be washed and dried before using it.

Comment

• Lily Lake Mary
          Lily Lake Mary commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello Nwmnteacher -

Just saw your location. I grew up and lived in Ely, MN for over 30 years. Move to the UP of MI in 2011. I would say Ely is still my favorite location!

I like Lori's idea to make a sample sandwich, quilt it, wash it and see. I am probably the only one on the Forum to have never used minky!! But I agree it is super soft. I am a hq and I don't think it would be great for quilting by hand but it would be an interesting combination, minky and homespun. Please come back and tell us what you decided to do and how your project turns out!

Comment

Thank you! I am still leaning toward pre-washing the homespun and using minky but I will circle back around and let you know what I ended up doing. Have a pleasant day!!

Comment

I have never had a problem with minky on a regular sewing machine or a longarm. I mix fabrics all the time. Like it was said above, prewash the homespun. If you have a serger, serge the edges before washing. The softest quilt I have ever made was a rag quilt with minky on the back, flannel in the middle and cotton on the top. I prewashed the flannel and the cotton. A lap quilt I made for my youngest, the top was pieced cotton, the middle was flannel and the back was minky. Prewashed again. At first I machine quilted the top to the flannel leaving two major lines of quilting to be done when all three fabrics were together. It was a rectangle with a panel in the middle. One of the lines of quilting done last was stitch in the ditch around the panel. Another was around a border. I did not want to do a lot of quilting on the minky. It was mainly to anchor all three fabrics together. Also, a lot of times when I have minky on the back, I don't use binding. I trim the minky two inches all around the quilt, then bring the edges over the top and fold down one inch and basically hem the quilt. If anyone wants to know how I make flat corners I will be happy to tell you.
            Vonnie

Comment

Hello Vonnie! So nice to meet you and hear from you. Thank you for taking time to respond and tell me your experience. I would assume you use flannel instead of warm and natural bating in the middle becuase you can secure the two together. I think I will do the same. Again, thank you for your response.

Comment

Hi, I've used Homespun in a few quilts and never prewash and mix fabrics. I've never had an issue. My last quilt with it had homespun, fleece, flannel and denim. I'm never afraid to mix fabrics!

Comment

Well, hello! Thank you for taking time to share your experience with me! I sincerely appreciate it - very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                  X