Westalee Ruler Foot Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westalee Ruler Foot Question

I'm so frustrated right now. I decided to try out my Westalee Ruler Foot today and practice using the rulers to do straight lines. I can't keep it from skipping stitches or shredding thread! I'm using it on my Juki 2010 and changed thread several times, put new 90/14 needle since I read somewhere to use that size. I adjusted the pressure on the foot, etc. You get my point, I tried it all. Has anyone else experienced this issue with this particular ruler foot or are they all that way? I was going to order a different ruler foot but don't want to spend the money if it will be the same thing. Thanks in advance for your input. Tracie
    Tracie

I have played around with those rulers on my Juki 2010 without any problems. Do you have your stitch length turned all the way down or your feed dogs dropped? I leave my feed dogs up, but turn the stitch way down.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I tried both ways.. maybe I'll try leaving them up again. Thanks for suggesting.
      Tracie

Comment

For me, I had to really slow way down to get good results. I set the speed around 1/3 instead of 1/2. I have the 2010i.
        Diana Grey

Comment

I will try that too! I do tend to speed up. Thanks
          Tracie

Comment

gosh what an issue,
            in my very limited knowledge,
            would say when stitch being created, the problem is when the needle comes back up through fabric, the foot needs a slight micron adjustment to apply the exact pressure to fabric just for the fraction of time passes through.

am assuming all clean of fluff in bobbin areas,
            is your tensions equal, and thread travels smoothly rather than jerky with dispatch off cone

I leave feed dogs up, stitch length zero on singer 201 otherwise tension goes funny.
            my latest issue was due to sewing tucks on masks had raised the presser bar but not the lever, thus the foot not touching the fabric onto feed dogs when put foot down to sew.there was some missed stitches thread breaking and differing stitch length with speed of treadling. (probably not helpful but feel your pain of yours not working as wanted)

does the machine sew OK with a normal foot, after the above started? same thread x thickness of fabric putting under needle?
            do you leave tension at normal sewing settings or change for ruler foot
            good luck when locate and fix the issue will all be celebrating with you,
            hugs T

Comment

• Tracie T
              Tracie T commented
              Editing a comment
              Good Morning! It does sew fine without that crazy ruler foot. I think too that it has something to do with the pressure but just can't seem to find the right spot. If I adjust too low, it gets stuck over spots. Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I'm wondering if getting a ruler foot for Juki specifically would be better. Thanks, again! Tracie

It's not the ruler foot. Don't spend the money on another... it'll be the same. It's the result of the hand feeding (FMQ), and possibly the height of the foot relative to the quilt sandwich. The height of the foot needs to hold the fabric enough to prevent uplift when the needle is on the upstroke, but loose enough so the fabric moves smoothly. This video explains what's happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCAVOFl-0PM

Here's an experiment I'd try. Leave the ruler foot on, but put the feed dogs up and select a stitch length close to the desired length when quilting. Use a ruler next to foot as a guide, but let the feed dogs feed the fabric instead. If it stitches fine the trouble you are having is the free motion movement not being smooth and in time with the needle position. Practice will help a bunch.

BTW- You mentioned changing to a 90-14 size needle, but not all needles are the same. The preferred needle is a "top-stitch" needle for it's bigger eye, and larger scarf and groove, to handle the thread like Uncle Creepy explains in the video. Don't be afraid to move up to a 100-16 needle either, but also in a top-stitch. Not sure of your thread choice, but a larger needle yet may be required.
            You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• Tracie T
              Tracie T commented
              Editing a comment
              Great video! I like the explanation of the needle. After fiddling around a bit more with the tension and pressure foot. I think I might be getting it to stop skipping and fraying. I know my inexperience with using the ruler is also coming in to play with my issues because it does sew fine otherwise and works fine when I use another FMQ foot. Thanks so much!

• Teen
              Teen commented
              Editing a comment
              This is very helpful...I'll be trying this method.....

All good advice above. I agree, it's not the foot. I have a Juki 2010 and the Westalee foot and rulers. I also have the Juki ruler foot but I don't like it. The Westalee foot works better for me and I can use it with many other brands of rulers.

Use a #14 Topstitch needle. It has a larger eye so that helps eliminate thread shredding. Aurifil thread usually works pretty well for me with the rulers.

I normally raise my feed dogs and set my speed to medium low. My machine is set into a sewing table and I use the Sew Steady Grid Glider. It really makes a difference in FMQ and ruler work to move the work freely.

It took me awhile to practice and figure out how to adjust the machine and my own movements. Hang in there. One day it will all click. I've had good results with the feather template but need more practice on some of the others.

Comment

• Tracie T
              Tracie T commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! I was practicing some yesterday and I seem to be getting better at it. My one issues I know for a fact was I couldn't quite get the right height of the foot, once I got that figured out and slowed down, it seemed to work much better. I appreciate all the advice. I do think it will be quite fun once I get on to it better.

I had the same problems with the Westalee ruler foot. Funny thing was, in the quilt itself I used the same rulerfoot and it worked fine. Once I started on the border it went all wrong, thread fraying and breaking and stitches skipping. Nothing worked, in the end I used the FMQ'ing foot and the ruler. Not an ideal combination but it worked.
            I tried adjusting the height of the foot, the tension, a new needle, different size needle, you name it and I tried it.
            One day I'll try again.

Comment

Working...
            X