Extra loft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra loft

For a 3D effect I want to have more loft in some quilt areas. Anyone know how deep you can quilt on a Baby Lock Coronet? Is the loft adjustable? On other machines?

I don't know about the loft, but there is a quilting technique called trapunto. I've never tried it. Is that what you mean?

shadow-trapunto-tutorial-26.jpg

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...al&FORM=HDRSC3

Welcome to the forum!
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

I have done trapunto and it would be a pretty big project on a full quilt. I only did a bunch of pillow tops, oh where are they now this reminds me I haven't seen them in years! Anyway, I think I remembered quilting just the pillow top. (Sandwiched at this point with muslin as backing.) Then you turn it over to the back and make a slit with emb scissors. Let's say your motif is a flower. You make a slit about an inch long on the back of each petal. Then you take a tuft of batting with your fingers and push it into the slit, you might have to do this a couple times until you are satisfied with the puff of your fill, and smooth it with something not too sharp (popsicle stick). You don't want to get any lumps. Then hand stitch the slit shut and move on to the next petal. So you can see that this would be very time consuming for an entire quilt, but it would sure be pretty. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
        I have done trapunto and it would be a pretty big project on a full quilt. I only did a bunch of pillow tops, oh where are they now this reminds me I haven't seen them in years! Anyway, I think I remembered quilting just the pillow top. (Sandwiched at this point with muslin as backing.) Then you turn it over to the back and make a slit with emb scissors. Let's say your motif is a flower. You make a slit about an inch long on the back of each petal. Then you take a tuft of batting with your fingers and push it into the slit, you might have to do this a couple times until you are satisfied with the puff of your fill, and smooth it with something not too sharp (popsicle stick). You don't want to get any lumps. Then hand stitch the slit shut and move on to the next petal. So you can see that this would be very time consuming for an entire quilt, but it would sure be pretty. Good luck!!
        I noticed a video on that very way. I'll go see where it was.
        "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

I couldn't find that one, but this shows a high loft for a long arm.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DVDMHRS

Comment

Another way to do it is put a piece of batting under the area and quilt that. Then take you scissors and trim off the edges. Lay that on top of your main batting and quilt a bit to hold in place and then quilt the remainder of the main piece. This works well to make flowers, etc pop. Hope that makes sense.
            Debbie

Comment

Working...
            X