Help with Half Hexagon Ruler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Half Hexagon Ruler

Hi, new quilter here. I'm having trouble piecing together the 10" half hexagons using the MSQ ruler. I know I must be missing something obvious, but after trying different things and ripping out and trying again, and getting nowhere, I decided it was time to ask! Here is what my hexies look like when I sew them together? I've seen Jenny mention using the "points" and leaving little "nubbies" out side of the seam, but I just can't seem to get the right placement. Can anyone help me with this?
    IMG_6614.JPEGIMG_6613.JPEG

The points are cut off using the template, so the edges should line up without having 1/4" hanging off at the end of the seam line.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I guess I don't understand, I cut exactly to the template. Is that not correct? I know this is going to be so obvious once I figure out what you mean!

Comment

I think you have moved it up too far. Go to the tutorial page and pull up the slanted half hexi tutorial. She has a really good description in there on how to line it up. You might also want to check your 1/4” seam. If that is off it can also effect this. But from the picture I think it is your placement.
        Debbie

Comment

Thanks, I'll go watch that video again.

Comment

You cut it correctly. The template cuts off the points on the long side of the half-hexie (see photo). So the "nubby" that you would usually let hang off when sewing the seam is gone.
            Untitled.png
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

here is one https://southerncharmquilts.com/blog...fferent-sizes/
              https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...or-layer-cakes
              wow, also found a surprise half hexagon quilt tute. cute!!
              Last edited by nativetexan; April 1st, 2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

If you still need help, on the back of your fabric draw the 1/4 seam put a pin thru where the seams cross on both pieces. Look at how the pieces line up. You will see better how you need to line them up

Comment

• AuntNynah
                  AuntNynah commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This worked for me!! Thank you!

That little flat tip on the end should line up even with the edge of the other fabric. No overhang at all when you use this template. She does leave little nubbies on other patterns, not with this one. You cut it correctly!

Comment

Working...
                X