Help! My thread keeps shredding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! My thread keeps shredding

I have been through all the checks at least 5 times (seriously). I am quilting a panel for a baby blanket. Could it be the panel weave even though I have quilted almost the whole thing? My machine is a Brother Dream Quilter 15. It just started skipping stitches and then shredding the top thread. I have changed thread and thread weight. I have changed the bobbin and the needle (needle twice), cleaned tension discs, cleaned bobbin area and bobbin casing. Any ideas? I just want to finish this baby quilt.:-(

I looked on Superior Threads and (even though you changed your needle) it says your needle eye may be too small. That's all I've got right now. : )

Maybe it would be better if I posted the article. lol

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...read-shredding
    "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

• Multimom6384
      Multimom6384 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That's the thread I use too and I called them. They are so helpful. They were going to replace my 2 cones of thread but I told them not to after I changed the needle. Of course it immediately shredded again after I cancelled it. I really don't think it's the thread. I think it's the density of the panel. I will look at changing to a needle with a bigger hole. Thanks again.

I bought this pack of needles from Amazon as an add on...needles from China and they did that exact thing. I have a brother as well. I switched to a different brand that I usually use and sewing perfect again. I'm betting you have a bad batch of needles if they are all from the same pack.

Comment

Thank you. I got the needles from Grace Company and Superior Threads but it could be a bad pack. I will try a needle from a different pack too.

Comment

Did you solve the problem of the thread shredding?

I looked at a picture of your machine. Is it on a frame? I found out the hard and frustrating way that a lot of longarms (mine included) on a frame have troubling quilting a straight line from right to left when you are standing in front of the machine. Something along the line that the needle has a hard time grabbing the thread. It kept happening on a quilt that had a lot of straight lines (stitch in the ditch) and it wasn't real consistent. I had changed thread, changed needles, then changed needle sizes and still it would shred and break the thread when quilting from right to left. Thank goodness for the internet! When I found that out, I avoided quilting straight lines from right to left.
        Vonnie

Comment

Thank you! Yes, it is on a 10 ft frame with a moving rail....not sure I love the moving rail...but alas my husband is REALLY good to me.
          I think I found the problem....I didn't change the needle SIZE to match my So Fine thread. I am going to start another baby quilt soon (making them for local pregnancy center now) and I will see if that helps. It seemed to on the last of the last one. So much to learn and I have only been sewing for 3 years. I have my thread guide printed and in my manual which stays right by my machine now! Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
          X