Help! My thread keeps shredding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! My thread keeps shredding

I have been through all the checks at least 5 times (seriously). I am quilting a panel for a baby blanket. Could it be the panel weave even though I have quilted almost the whole thing? My machine is a Brother Dream Quilter 15. It just started skipping stitches and then shredding the top thread. I have changed thread and thread weight. I have changed the bobbin and the needle (needle twice), cleaned tension discs, cleaned bobbin area and bobbin casing. Any ideas? I just want to finish this baby quilt.:-(

I looked on Superior Threads and (even though you changed your needle) it says your needle eye may be too small. That's all I've got right now. : )

Maybe it would be better if I posted the article. lol

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...read-shredding
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Multimom6384
      Multimom6384 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. That's the thread I use too and I called them. They are so helpful. They were going to replace my 2 cones of thread but I told them not to after I changed the needle. Of course it immediately shredded again after I cancelled it. I really don't think it's the thread. I think it's the density of the panel. I will look at changing to a needle with a bigger hole. Thanks again.

I bought this pack of needles from Amazon as an add on...needles from China and they did that exact thing. I have a brother as well. I switched to a different brand that I usually use and sewing perfect again. I'm betting you have a bad batch of needles if they are all from the same pack.

Comment

Thank you. I got the needles from Grace Company and Superior Threads but it could be a bad pack. I will try a needle from a different pack too.

Comment

Did you solve the problem of the thread shredding?

I looked at a picture of your machine. Is it on a frame? I found out the hard and frustrating way that a lot of longarms (mine included) on a frame have troubling quilting a straight line from right to left when you are standing in front of the machine. Something along the line that the needle has a hard time grabbing the thread. It kept happening on a quilt that had a lot of straight lines (stitch in the ditch) and it wasn't real consistent. I had changed thread, changed needles, then changed needle sizes and still it would shred and break the thread when quilting from right to left. Thank goodness for the internet! When I found that out, I avoided quilting straight lines from right to left.
        Vonnie

Comment

Thank you! Yes, it is on a 10 ft frame with a moving rail....not sure I love the moving rail...but alas my husband is REALLY good to me.
          I think I found the problem....I didn't change the needle SIZE to match my So Fine thread. I am going to start another baby quilt soon (making them for local pregnancy center now) and I will see if that helps. It seemed to on the last of the last one. So much to learn and I have only been sewing for 3 years. I have my thread guide printed and in my manual which stays right by my machine now! Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
          X