How to repair old quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to repair old quilt

Any suggestions on how to repair the binding on an old quilt? I have a quilt that’s about 20 years old and has seen a lot of use. The binding is getting very worn and has ripped in a few places. Is it possible to take the binding off and replace it? If so, any tips or tricks? I’m just not sure how to begin.

I found this forum based on a similar question.
    I have never replaced a binding but am sure it would be just like putting one on a newly quilted top. Either cut off the edges or unsew the existing binding and put on a new one.

Comment

You might check with a local quilt guild to see if there is anyone who specializes in this type of repair. Also do a web search. Also check with local quilt stores.

Comment

Honestly, the way it was told to me years ago is to rotary cut off the binding if there's a border and replace it. You can also put a new binding over the old if cutting off with cut off points of the quilt.

Comment

I recently inherited a 90 year old quilt in good condition except the outside edge is frayed in places. I have not repaired it yet but looked it over real good. The quilt is just two colors, pink (solid) and white. I would never be able to find that shade of pink the border is made out of so I won't even try. I think the best thing is to cut a white binding and just sew it over the edge of the quilt all the way around. This quilt just ends at the border and as far as I can tell it never had any kind of binding around the edge, so I think doing one in plain white will look fine. I may have to cut it a bit wider than my normal 2.5 inches to cover the fray though. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Before I quilted, I sewed. My grandmother's sister had given mom a quilt, which my kids and I used while watching tv. I certainly did not appreciate the value of such an antique and it was washed frequently. The binding fell apart. I removed it with stitch ripper and replaced with fabric replicating that time. I still have it but now is stored. I want to add a label for future generations.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
            X