Backing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Question

I am using batiks for the first time to make a Summer at the Beach quilt pattern—pattern picture attached. I have used batiks along with cottons for piecing the top but I’m not sure about the backing. Should I use cotton or batik? I’ve read so much conflicting advice that I’m not sure which way to turn. Also what about binding—cotton or batik? Appreciate any advice you can give.

I have used batiks and cottons on backs. Separately and together. Have not had any issues.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

You need to watch batiks for running. Don't forget to put a Shout color eater upper
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels.
      When someone
      break's our wings
      we will continue to
      fly...usually on a
      broomstick.
      We're flexible like that.
      - embroitique

Comment

• tneukam
        tneukam commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much for the advice, I wouldn’t have known that they may run.

Batiks are kind of expensive so I would think twice spending that much on backing unless it is a very special quilt. I made a King size quilt for a niece. She wanted batiks on front and I put 108 inch wide cotton print on the back. I am a hand quilter and cursed my way through, batik is a bear to hq and I swear I am never buying batiks again! It was beautiful when finished but I was sure happy to be done with that one. It was all deep blues and deep purples. Washed with only one color catcher and was shocked it did not bleed at all.

Comment

I have used batiks as scraps together with cottons for piecing and then used the left over batiks to piece a backing the same way. No problems at all

Comment

Uhhh... batiks are cotton. It's the dye process that gives it it's name. This process can change the feel when compared to traditional prints. Not all batiks bleed color, but a bigger percentage of them do compared to other prints. It's mostly about the after-dye process. Not all batiks feel the same, just like the variation in other prints. I don't notice it much as I'm a starcher so traditional fabric can take on the handling characteristics of a batik. I mix the two without a second thought, and don't see much/any difference when piecing. I'd have no problem with a batik on the back, except for the cost difference, and I think the design of most batiks are wasted on the back.

Edit-= I just finished a quilt from a combo of fabrics, and it wouldn't be the same without the beauty of some batiks. I haven't posted many finishes lately, so when it dries up outside a bit I'll get a pic. This one I especially like.
          Last edited by oldmanquilts; March 31st, 2020, 09:25 AM.
          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• grammaterry
            grammaterry commented
            Editing a comment
            I too, like the look of a little batik in the piecing. They seem to shimmer just a little and if the pieces are spaced evenly throughout the top, it gives it a different effect
        Working...
        X