Box of Batting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box of Batting

I bought a tall box of batting last fall. I have been using up the smaller packages and haven't opened it yet. I know several of you buy batting this way and I am wondering how you deal with it . Should I open it and lay it on the bed to cut it ? My cutting table is not large enough to hold it and I am afraid I will stretch it. My long arm does have a rail for batting. I am told the batting is folded on the roll , so that wouldn't work without rerolling it. Sometimes I lay quilts out on the pool table and thought about using that. I can't think of anywhere else in my house large enough to deal with this.

Thanks,
    Teresa

I buy batting on a large roll. I think it's 30 yds. It's Hobbs 80/20 & it's folded in half (45"), so when opened, the full width is 90". I leave it folded, roll it out on the floor, mark it with a Sharpie, then cut it with scissors. A metal carpenter's measuring tape works great for measuring fabric or batting. You can lock it in place & lay it down. I use 2 long quilting pins to secure the edges of the batting. I store the roll vertically, covered in plastic to protect from dust. Most of my quilts are crib or lap size, so I don't have to cut too large a piece at any one time. If I have a larger quilt, the LAer provides the batting.

Comment

I use my pool table with the ping pong table attached......works great.....large flat surface. I leave it folded and roll out my length and I use big scissors to cut it, actually using the roll kind of like a straight edge to keep my cutting straight. Then I unfold and install on the quilt frame as usual.

Comment

I have a roll of batting hanging on PVC pipe attached to the quilt frame. The batting is folded in half. I roll it out and over the take up bar and measure the length I need. I mark where to cut on the batting and use the table area on the back of the frame for cutting it.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I always unfold the batting, so it can rest and fluff up a bit before cutting, I use the floor, (oh, my aching back) to mark it and put in on the dinning room table fold it in half lightly and cut
          When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
          Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

TMP, I keep the batting stored in the box as long as possible where the batting bar is under the machine. Mine too is folded. I use the top of my longarm bars to roll out the batting. I know what the folded edge is, so I roll it across to get the width of the quilt and cut it there. Then I immediately repackage it back up as quilter cat lurks and I do not want her using it as scratching post.
            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I unroll mine on the floor, cut off what I need, then put the roll back in plastic bag to store in the corner of my long arm room. Once it is cut, I open it up, spritz with spare bottle and toss in dryer to help remove the crease.

Comment

I keep an old sheet spread out underneath my long arm and keep my roll of batting there and cover it up with the rest of the sheet. When I get ready to cut it, I carry it to my bed and set it on a chair and roll it out on the bed. I keep it folded. I take my top and fold it in half and lay it on the batting lining up the folds. Then I cut the batting making sure I leave 3 - 4 inches all around the folded top except on the fold. Never had a problem. Be careful to not cut your bedspread or quilt that you have on your bed! It's safest to cut on the gap between the bed and the chair.
                Vonnie

Comment

Thanks all for your ideas. I am going to have my daughter help me tackle this monster roll. I can see my self cutting the bedspread so I think the pool table would be the place . Did you know they make special scissors for batting ? Lady who set my long arm up told me about them. I wonder how our ancestors who quilted made it without all the special tools.

Comment

Working...
                  X