Walking Foot Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking Foot Issues

Had this ever happened to anyone. Went to use my walking foot and all of a sudden it’s breaking my needles. It’s hitting the edge on the left side. I haven’t done anything to damage it and it seems to on there perfectly but don’t know why it’s doing this now??
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Can you move your needle on your machine? I know on my Juki I can't because it is a straight stitch only machine. Just throwing out a suggestion

Comment

Yes but I’m using a decorative stitch in the quilt.
      sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

I'm not sure a walking foot and decorative stitches work well together.

Comment

I’ve always always used it before. It’s hard to go between all the fabric without a walking foot. Do you have another option??
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Nativetexan is right. On my Cresendo the foot is attached to a sensor and it won't work with decorative stitches. The only one I found to work was a serpentine, but a real light one, not toward a zig-zag so much.

Is this the first time you have tried this? Now I'm curious. When I took the walking foot classes on Craftsy she never used a decorative stitch.
            Last edited by Hulamoon; March 28th, 2020, 05:46 PM.
            Lorie
            🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

• AlohaSandy
              AlohaSandy commented
              Editing a comment
              No not the first time I’ve done dozens of quilts using my walking foot and using a decorative stitch applying my binding. But first time I’ve broken needles doing this.

• Rhonda K
              Rhonda K commented
              Editing a comment
              For the crescendo check under the "utility" tab. There is a sub menu of stitches available. Some of them do work with the WF. There are feather stitches, blanket stitches and zig-zags to use. I have used them with the walking foot. Some are grayed out and won't work as you mentioned.

You can go backwards with the crescendo WF.

There are optional feet for the WF too. There is 1/4 inch guide, couching, open toe foot and a quilting guide that attaches.

Hope that helps!

That's interesting. Walking feet are only meant to go forward. A lot of stitches will go backward or side to side.. Can I ask what stitches you have been using? I'm getting a new machine.

Sorry I can't help on the needle
            Lorie
            🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

• AlohaSandy
              AlohaSandy commented
              Editing a comment
              All decorative stitches on my Janome 6300 Memory Craft. Love this machine

Hmmm, what kind of a machine do you have? I have a sort of a built in walking foot and this happens when I have the needle adjusted too far to the left
            Kathy

Comment

• AlohaSandy
              AlohaSandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Janome Memory Craft 6300

Are you using a universal walking foot? If so you can remove the plastic cover and there is a screw inside that needs tightened. I believe that is what I did with mine. Been a long time since I used that one

Comment

• AlohaSandy
              AlohaSandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes Universal I’ll try that thank you!!

like to think some things loose, mainly because easy to fix
            check the fixing of the walking foot specially if plastic it may of degraded,
            check to see if needs tightening, vibration can loosen the screw.
            try a another needle, is it in right way?
            slightly fudge the width setting, then test turning the balance wheel test sew on an off cut.
            when all else fails turn sewing machine off and back on again if computerised, that should set the needle back to straight stitch, then set your stitch again.
            fingers crossed for you.

Comment

• AlohaSandy
              AlohaSandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow thanks for your input. Will try.
          Working...
          X