Quilting Stitch length ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting Stitch length ?

Are there any disadvantages in using a longer stitch length when quilting ?
    My machine goes up to six and it looks pretty good with 12 and 50 wt on top and 50 wt in the bobbin.
    I’m also looking for ideas for patterns that are beginner friendly to use on my Missouri Star quilt ☺

I use a 2.0 stitch length. Longer and the seams separate a bit at the edges before I put the blocks together. Shorter and it’s harder to undo mistakes.

Comment

• K. McEuen
      K. McEuen commented
      Editing a comment
      You use a 2.0 for piecing, not quilting, I hope.

• quiltsRfun
      quiltsRfun commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. For piecing. 3.0 for walking foot quilting.

A longer stitch length is good for quilting as you are going through so many layers. If it looks good and you feel like it will hold up, go for it!
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

yes, longer stitch length when quilting lines or designs is fine. not seams though of course.

Comment

Most piecing is fine with 2.5 stitch length, which is standard on most machines. For quilting, e.g. using a walking foot doing a straight stitch, I use 3.0 length. It looks better.

Comment

There's longer and then there's "too" long. Other's have mentioned the benefit of using a longer stitch for quilting, so I'm going to pipe in with a disadvantage of using "too" long of a stitch... your curves may not be as smooth as you would like, and your points may look blunted. So I suggest, assemble a practice piece, this can be as small as two FQs with a scrap piece of batting in the middle, and play with your stitch lengths. Stitch loops and points, meanders, or what ever floats your fancy, trying different length of stitching. Find what works best for your skills and desired results.

Comment

I've nothing to add except I really like your quilt!

Jeannette

Comment

Working...
            X