Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to quilting

Hello all from Canada -
    New to quilting - falling in love with it - new to sewing as well - trying to master the 1/4 inch consistency...
    I find I may have more luck with a universal foot - needle to the right - I only have a singer simple machine right now - rather than the 1/4 inch foot.
    Any suggestions and also looking soon to upgrade my sewing machine - any good hints for me to look into??? Thank you Suzanne

Try cutting rectangles of fabric and stitch your 1/4" seam. Finger press open and press. Now measure the unit. If you start with 1 1/ 2 x 4 inch pieces your unit should measure exactly 2 1/2 x 4. If not, adjust your needle if you can or put some tape, and old plastic card or some post it notes on your needle plate to butt up against. Don't count on the foot for guidance without an actual check of the units you produce.

Comment

I think there is a 1/4" foot for Singer.

Comment

if you have a screw hole in your sewing machine bed can use one of these
        https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ate-seam-guide
        https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...er/-/gauge-bed
        I adapted this with a dremel, then applied a shim to the additional clip part, to give me my 'finished unit' size for sewing units on the treadle,
        you can get clip on 1/4 inch feet, https://www.amazon.com/s?i=aps&k=1%2...ch-alias%3Daps
        if your singer in more modern. One design may work better for you than another.
        Iike the guide and the lines in the clear foot, but you may like the metal foot.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum! You've been given some great tips! I won't say all machines, but my Singer and Brother use the same feet, so my 1/4" Brother foot gets used on the Singer, when my Husky is in the shop.
          Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
          ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Hello Suzanne and welcome from California! Lots of us have favorite brands so you are sure to get a ton of good advice.

Jeannette

Comment

Just because it's sold as a "1/4 foot," doesn't mean it gives you a 1/4 seam allowance. Too many factors which affect the correct seam width. Don't trust it to be as advertised.

Midge gave the how-to for testing the seam allowance. If you get a "quarter inch foot" test it before use. If you change threads, or fabric test it. If you swap feet from one machine to another, test it. If you plan to iron the seams open versus to one side, test it.
              You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                201 Treadler commented
                Editing a comment
                very much agree,
                could put all seam testing into the quilts backing, making an interesting tale to the quilt :-)

Exactly right on measuring, I ordered a 1/4" foot from Amazon, it's no where near that, it's off by about 1/16 - 1/8" I just use scrap fabric, sew a line and measure! or I draw a line on fabric, put the needle down on it, and see if it lines up with the fabric edge.
              When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
              Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
              X