Quilting a wonky top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting a wonky top

This quilt was made in 1955 for a friend’s mom’s wedding. She asked me to quilt it for her. As you can see there is a serious lack of flatness. Does anyone have any ideas on how to (machine) quilt this and minimize the hills and valleys? Yes it really should be hand quilted, but I am very handquilting challenged and only machine quilt on my Sweet 16. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Steam press the whole thing, working it as flat as you can as you go. That usually straightens most of that out, then BASTE it heavily to help hold it flat. Should come out pretty decent.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

oh my, hand made would make me want to undo some of the rippling and flatten that out and re-stitch by hand. would be very difficult to quilt without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ghco View Post
        This quilt was made in 1955 for a friend’s mom’s wedding. She asked me to quilt it for her. As you can see there is a serious lack of flatness. Does anyone have any ideas on how to (machine) quilt this and minimize the hills and valleys? Yes it really should be hand quilted, but I am very handquilting challenged and only machine quilt on my Sweet 16. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
        I have made several wedding ring quilts and from the picture, the biggest problem is in the attachment squares. They should be four pieces coming together to form that block and they should be shaped pretty much like the ones in the half moons. This is what is causing the bunching. It wouldn't be a lot of work to take those pieces out and cut them and restitch. Might take a couple of hours but would save you a lot of time in the quilting. I have done heavy quilting in the center pieces and then left the moon strips blank and I have embroidered the negative centers and used a serpentine stitch around the moons. You have lots of options.

Comment

I'm going to throw this out there because I have no clue. What if you ironed on a wash away stabilizer?
          Lorie

Comment

I have gotten great results by just soaking it, then block it while wet (not dripping), you'd be surprised how relaxed the fabric gets, it will shrink up the stretched out pieces.
            When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Perhaps this will help.....

https://gammill.com/quilting-out-fullness-episode-39/

Comment

Wow! The Gammill video is quite amazing! Does someone want to drop $40K my way so I can get one of these babies?

Comment

Originally posted by Star lover View Post
                  Thank you for the link. I had watched the video months ago, but couldn't find it this time.

Comment

The video was so helpful in flattening out this quilt with basting and heavy quilting! Thanks for the help!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• grammaterry
                      grammaterry commented
                      Editing a comment
                      that is pretty amazing.

Wow! now see, wonders can be done by quilters! One just has to have faith. Great job!

Comment

Working...
                    X