Cathedral Windows question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cathedral Windows question

Making a cathedral windows quilt is on my bucketlist, and while Jenny's method makes the top assembly easy, my question is more about the final quilt assembly. How do you quilt a cathedral windows quilt? Most example cathedral window projects seem to be pillows or tablerunners, where the quilting part doesn't matter that much due to the small size.

Do you re-stitch along the seams that hold the colored squares in place? Do you attach the colored squares during the quilting process so that there's only one seam there? Can you quilt it on a long arm or should it be FMQ'd on a DSM? Or do you just tack it at the corners of each section, either with a machine or via tying it?

Good question. I've wondered that myself. I'm curious too :-)
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

I have made two and I have one that my grandmother made in 1966. You will quilt it as you go by stitching the colored squares into the little envelopes. My grandmothers was done by hand and is spectacular...mine was done on my machine. It will be very heavy so you must have a large table to keep it from dragging.
      Attached Files
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Jenny's method doesn't seem to work that way - it does not use envelopes and probably needs batting/backing.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightline View Post
          Jenny's method doesn't seem to work that way - it does not use envelopes and probably needs batting/backing.
          I think you might be right. I have seen a lot of different methods trying to get the look without the detail. The envelopes (as I have come to call them) are easy except for the extreme amount of ironing. That is the whole key, making sure you have all the folds ironed in place. I have done it two different ways. One (the first one) was that I sewed all the envelopes together to form the back and then inserted the colored squares and sewed them down. The second time, I sewed sections together (like about 8 of them) and then sewed those to each other. That took away a great deal of the weight.
          Terry

Comment

I don't have the patience to make one. I really like them tho. Terry, is that your quilt or the one your grandmother made? It is beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by sydneybean View Post
              I don't have the patience to make one. I really like them tho. Terry, is that your quilt or the one your grandmother made? It is beautiful
              that is the last one I made. They really aren't that hard. My grandmother made 4 full size ones all by hand from Sept. to Dec. 1966...one for each of her children and gave each grandchild a throw pillow. They are intimidating to get started. Just take a 9 inch square of white or cream muslin. fold each point into the center, then iron, then fold each point to the center and iron. Once you see the envelope you will see that by folding out one of the arms and sewing down the fold line with a second envelope you will have formed the start. Continue attaching each envelope to the next in the same manner. At the point where I have a square of say 9 or so, I insert the colored piece and you will see that the envelope will make little arcs around the square. Just try a few and you will see how really easy this will be.
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X